Completely in love with my Hamer Monaco

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twitch, Apr 2, 2015.

1. twitch

twitch Member

Overthe last 6 months or so, my GAS has picked up. I got a Gretsch 6120 in the summer, which I love. A month or so ago I was looking for a 335 type guitar. In my searches I saw a hollowbody Les Paul with a Bigsby that really drew my attention. It was brand new, and the store was asking about $3,000, so I didn't bother even trying out.

Anyway, I went to a store in the Philly area (Roxy Guitars) that carries some Heritage guitars, looking to try out some of their models. I knew they had some nice Hamers there as well. I wound up trying and leaving with a red Monaco (hollow body with Bigsby), a good bit less than the Les Paul I had seen. About a week later I got a Vox Tony Bruno 18 watt, as my Rivera Suprema at almost 80 pounds was too much to be hauling around.

I LOVE THE HAMER. Yes, obviously in the honeymoon phase still, which I was probably still in with the Gretsch as well. But the Hamer just feels and sounds so great. I am also really digging the new amp, and wonder how that is effecting things as well. I probably need to do some more side by side with the Rivera and the Vox, but whatever it is, I am loving things right now. I think the Vox is better suited towards my style of playing.

I am really blown away by the Hamer. All my guitars a pretty different. The Gretsch is a Gretsch, so it is unique and great. My Driskill is certainly its own animal as well, and with 3 P90's and a BRW neck, and the Driskill body and mojo, well that is certainly different. It is a very versatile guitar, does the blues rock thing real good, but not quite the cleans I would like, and I also like a country twang a little. That drove me to the Melancon, which is also a great guitar. But also a P90 guitar, but does the cleans better than the Driskill.

After getting the Gretsch, I am kind of on a Bigsby thing, but felt I still had a void with not having a humbucker guitar, other than my sons Epiphone SG. So the Hamer has filled whatever void there was and then some.

I do not have two guitars from the same manufacturer, but would not be surprised if that changed with adding another Hamer!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Being a Hamer guy, I fully understand your feelings :)

I have 3 Hamers however ;)

3. Teletech

Teletech Silver Supporting Member

I picked up a Hamer Special a short time ago and it's all I play.
    I have several guitars that were in the $3000-$4000 range, and all I play is a used $500 Hamer with stock P90s.
    Figures.
    Hamers are great guitars.

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

Hamers are great guitars. Glad you love yours.

5. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

This thread needs more pics.

7. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Welcome to the club! I have a Monaco III that's a lot of fun. Glad you're enjoying your new guitar.

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

9. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I can't match that green beauty for looks, but here's mine...
    [​IMG]

Roe likes this.
  10. HHB

HHB Member

11. G Man

G Man Member

Their like the Pringles of guitars, you can't have just one.

12. echos

echos Supporting Member

That is NICE!

I've owned several Hamer's. Love them all. I've only got the Newport left and she is a lifer for me. Not gonna go anywhere.

13. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

My best playing and sounding guitar might be my cheapest one: a Hamer Artist Custom, it is a killer instrument, such blooming and sweet tones coming out of it and the neck is perfect as well....

14. PW214

PW214 Member

Admittedly I've never owned a Hamer but this photo makes me want to! Nice looking guitar!

15. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I have a few very expensive guitars and my much cheaper, found on CL, etc Hamers get more play time. It was a great shame that they were shut down. Awesome guitars.

It really amazes me at what folks buy for big bucks when these great used Hamers are floating around.

I hate to see these threads though as the secret is getting leaked.

Edit to add..I have a Special as well..I lived with the stock hot Duncans for a few years and finally put some Wolfetones in..instant vintage tone..much more up my alley. Those Duncans are kinda fun though. Recently got a Korina Jr and put in a Wolfe immediately.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  16. Teletech

Teletech Silver Supporting Member

Totally agree. It's a shame they aren't still in business.
    I've heard these Specials sound better with upgraded pickups, but so far I'm loving the Duncans to be honest. Maybe someday I'll change them out, but right now they sound great to me.

17. PW214

PW214 Member

Why were they "shut down"? Too close to Gibson's?

18. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Fender bought them from Kaman or something..not sure someone will chime in..Fender shut them down I believe.

19. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Because they were losing money. An economic decision.

The definition of "they", the reasons for the loss, and the correctness of the decision are all open to interpretation...which is, I'm sure, forthcoming.

20. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Member

Here is mine, still debating on replacement pickups for it......

[​IMG]