• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Completely over the Kemper Honeymoon phase. Conclusion -- Best amp/gear purchase I have ever made

Deuterium

Okay, I have had my new Kemper Power Rack since April. I have owned a lot of gear, both tube amps and digital modelers, so I am very aware of the proverbial "Honeymoon" phase.

I am definitely out of the initial Honeymoon period...and can reflect on this piece of gear with proper perspective and sober appreciation of it's qualities.

I am not being hyperbolic when I state that, in terms of guitar gear, it is the very best amp I have ever purchased. Again, this includes ALL kinds of pure tube amps, as well as digital modelers going back to the original Line 6 Ax2-212.

My most recent "flagship" tube amp is a 100 watt Marshall Vintage Modern, with the VM 412 cabinet. I also have a wonderful pedalboard with an embarrasing amount of high-end "boutique" pedals. I use the term "embarassing", in a very self deprecating way. It sickens me, when I think of it, the amount of money I have spent over the years on amps and pedals. WHAT THE HECK was I thinking. I look back, and wish I could hit my younger self upside the head. They are now basically collecting dust.

I am getting better sounds, better dynamics, and better interaction out of my Kemper (KPA) then I have ever been able to get out of the Marshall VM, including a multi-FX rack processor, and a pedalboard that is probably worth it's weight in gold. The same applies to any number of quality tube amps or digital modelers I either own or have owned over the years.

For me, the single most amazing aspect of the KPA is the absolute fidelity with which it clones a specific, unique amp. Every alternative digital "modeler" on the market can give you a general representation of, for example, a Marshall Super Plexi. Depending on the modeler in question, you can get a damn fine tone...no question. However, what really sets the KPA apart is it's entirely unique and patented profiling process. Instead of getting a "general" recreation of a certain amp / model...the Kemper profiles the exact reference amp, unique down to the serial number. It captures all the nuances of the original, reference amp, including it's best qualities as well as it's quirks. IMHO, it makes every other digital amp seem like a toy.

This next statement may certainly be controversial...but I think, in many ways, the KPA actually improves upon the original, reference amp. This happens when you dive into the KPA's amp sub-menu, and begin tweaking parameters such as "Clarity", "Definition" "Pick Attack", "Tube Bias", "Tube Shape", and "Compressor". The "Compressor" parameter in the amp menu block is simply amazing. It is nothing like a traditional rack or stomp compressor (which the KPA also has)...but works within and upon the actual amp profile. It is almost impossible to explain/describe how powerful this effect is. It is one of those things that you just need to try a KPA, dial in a profile/rig you like, and start adjusting this parameter. It has the power to take a relatively clean amp profile, such as a HiWatt DR103, and get transparent, musical sustain without having to increase the gain/distortion...all without the artificial compression and artifacts of a stompbox compressor effect. The "Clarity" and "Definition" parameters are similarly powerful, and can take the original, reference amp (now cloned in the KPA), and dramatically improve it's dynamics and note clarity.

Another huge advantage of the KPA is the fact that I can dial in killer tones at any volume range. The ability to get the tone, and more importantly, the sustain and dynamics of a cranked Marshall 1959 SLP while playing at medium to "bedroom" volume levels, has been (for me) a revelation. Sure, other digital modelers I have owned could do the same, but they still sounded like a digital modeler trying to emulate a tube amp. The KPA is a friggin' tube amp. Err, well, you know what I mean.

Last edited:

stratotone

Silver Supporting Member
Totally with you, almost three and a half years here with mine, haven't played a gig since with a tube amp. Absolutely the best piece of gear I've purchased.

Agree with you also regarding the Kemper's cloning ability. Unless lucky enough to be able to try the profiling feature, many never realize just how good this gizmo is at replicating a specific amp. I did profiles of my '70, '72 and '74 Marshall heads (which all would fall under the same 'jmp' moniker by other modeling devices) and all three sound different to me. Because they are.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
What you have both said and described is wrong.

As this is TGP, your only two options are:

-> an expensive all-valve-hand-made-in-the-usa boutique amp with as-few-tone-sucking-controls as possible

or

-> an Axe FX II XL+

There are no other options.

Please don't post things like this again :)

Ben

PS: Happy KPA owner and user who agree's totally with the above first 2 posts in this thread.

Deuterium

Totally with you, almost three and a half years here with mine, haven't played a gig since with a tube amp. Absolutely the best piece of gear I've purchased.

Agree with you also regarding the Kemper's cloning ability. Unless lucky enough to be able to try the profiling feature, many never realize just how good this gizmo is at replicating a specific amp. I did profiles of my '70, '72 and '74 Marshall heads (which all would fall under the same 'jmp' moniker by other modeling devices) and all three sound different to me. Because they are.

Yes sir. It is uncanny how the KPA takes a profile of a unique amp, at a specific point in it's lifetime, and captures all it's individual character and quirks, and even (if applicable) any after-market modifications/enhancements. Game changer in the industry, IMHO.
By the way, I have your AC 30 profile pack...and it is friggin' killer. :dude

Last edited:

Jose7822

Good to hear because I plan to get one for my studio. Thanks for sharing :).

BTW, are there any plans/rumors of a new Kemper coming soon?

Last edited:

Laimon

I'll join the choir of praise here.
Good to hear because I plan to get one for my studio. Thanks for sharing :).

BTW, are there any plans/rumors of a new Kemper coming soon?
No. Not that I can know for sure, but this is a topic that recurrently comes up, and the answer always seems to be "Kemper packed the KPA with enough computing power for many years of extentions to go"

C-4

I totally agree, and I just got my Kemper! I haven't learned anything yet. In fact, yesterday while trying to learn about it, I accidentally erased all but 2 profiles!

This brings me to a question, please.
What is the best recommendation for a flash drive, i.e. type, amount of space, etc., for the Kemper, please? I have read where some Kemper owners have had to purchase multiply flash drives due to the Kemper not accepting some of them.

I don't have a home computer, but luckily, at work, a nice woman is going to teach me how to do downloads using a flash drive.

I appreciate your help here. Thank you. :)
Stephen

Laimon

I totally agree, and I just got my Kemper! I haven't learned anything yet. In fact, yesterday while trying to learn about it, I accidentally erased all but 2 profiles!

This brings me to a question, please.
What is the best recommendation for a flash drive, i.e. type, amount of space, etc., for the Kemper, please? I have read where some Kemper owners have had to purchase multiply flash drives due to the Kemper not accepting some of them.

I don't have a home computer, but luckily, at work, a nice woman is going to teach me how to do downloads using a flash drive.

I appreciate your help here. Thank you. :)
Stephen
Hi Stephen, I also commented on the other thread about it...but I thought you were joking! :p sorry, it's quite uncommon nowadays to meet someone who never had a usb stick.
Anyway, no panic! Again, I have never really heard of a problem, in fact I myself use sometime a cheap ass one I got as a gadget somewhere. Regarding space, profiles are really light, and so are updates. If you get one or two gigabytes of space you're going to be settled for practically ever without having to delete anything from it.
BTW, enjoy your new toy :) I've had it for one and half years now, and it still blows my mind.

NeuroLogic

1. What speakers are recommended?
2. How about an FX8 into the Kemper to get the best of all since it does not have all of the effects?
3. Is it as good with the other classic amps such as Twin Reverb, AC 30, Dumble, etc.?

Last edited:

Laimon

What speakers are recommended? How about an FX8 into the Kemper to get the best of all since it does not effects?
I use a Mesa mini recto cab (at home, I mean), I love it. Celestion v30s in general are grand. Don't care if I don't get the most versatility ever, they just sound so awesome :D
As to FX8...meh, I used to have an Axe FX Ultra, and I found its effects kinda meh. Sure, sure, they've improved a lot. But for what I know I can benefit more from a Helix, for that purpose ;-)

C-4

Laimon,
Thanks for your help. I have to work all the time to be able to afford anything, and a computer is a luxury for me. I believe I am the only one I know of who does not own a computer. I know I will have to get one now that I have a Kemper, but it took me years to save for the Kemper. I never needed a flash drive for anything before this. I just got one with good reviews for very little money that holds 8 gigs, which is way more then I'll ever need for anything, but it was the smallest one at the least price and is returnable if it doesn't work.

Laimon

Laimon,
Thanks for your help. I have to work all the time to be able to afford anything, and a computer is a luxury for me. I believe I am the only one I know of who does not own a computer. I know I will have to get one now that I have a Kemper, but it took me years to save for the Kemper. I never needed a flash drive for anything before this. I just got one with good reviews for very little money that holds 8 gigs, which is way more then I'll ever need for anything, but it was the smallest one at the least price and is returnable if it doesn't work.
You're welcome, of course. And I'm sorry to hear that, it seems such common place nowadays to own a computer (or several!).
Anyway, there's a very bright side: you saved for an outstanding tool. You won't be disappointed with your KPA, I promise :)

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I'm happy that you're happy. I have an Amplifire, and I'm surprised at how great I can get it to sound. The other guitarist in one of my bands has a Kemper. He got it recently. We just played our first gig with him on the Kemper and me on the Amplifire (both direct via the PA). They both sounded great. I briefly tried his Kemper, and it seems to share the same slight "not quite real amp feel" weakness as the Amplifire.

It seems to me, thus far, based on the gig, that the resulting tones are equally good in sound and feel. I'm tempted to get a Kemper myself, mostly because of the potential fun of using all of its capabilities and trying new "amps" at will. But I hesitate to spend the money, because I don't believe the end result -- meaning getting what I need at gigs -- will really be better than what I get from the Amplifire (for all that extra $$).

So I like what you're saying, but I'm not sure you're correct in saying that the Kemper is the only device that doesn't sound like a "digital device trying to replace an amp."

rsm

@Deuterium

This is TGP, we will find ways to induce new GAS, resistance is futile. You may leave, but you will be back.

muwahaha!

@C-4 congrats on getting the KPA, I've read your posts you've certainly researched this decision well which is great to see IMO. Now, time to enjoy! Even when I get a digital modeling rig set for what I need/want, I still enjoy learning and exploring what I can do with it - even if I'll never use those sounds. It keeps things fresh, and often helps spark new ideas and directions, and can get me out of creative slumps...

Deuterium

OP - Where are you located and do you want to sell your VM cab?
Hi TubeStack,

Sorry mate, but the VM cab is a keeper. Best cab I have ever owned...and I do use it with my Kemper, when I decide to hook up to a traditional guitar cabinet.

Cheers,
John

Social Exodus

Lone Wolf in Idaho
Silver Supporting Member
Can you Kemper folks tell me what you are using to amplify (make louder) this modern marvel?

Deuterium

Can you Kemper folks tell me what you are using to amplify (make louder) this modern marvel?
Hi smrybacki. I have the powered version, which has an integral 500W amp. I use it either with my passive XiTone 1x12 Wedge monitor, or depending on the circumstances, with my Marshall VM 412 cabinet.

If you are looking at the unpowered Kemper, then there are two methods you need to consider.

A) Using an external amp, to power a passive monitor or traditional guitar cab
B) Using an active FRFR monitor.

For scenario "A", Kemper officially recommends a quality solid-state power amp...as all the tube power section characteristics are intrinsic to the Kemper's profiles. If you are looking for something small and portable, the ISP Stealth power amp is a popular choice. However, I have read many reports from Kemper owners that they have had excellent results using the power amp section from their tube amp (plug into the FX Return).

If it is scenario "B", there are also many possibilities and solutions, such as Yamaha, QSC, Alto, JBL active monitors. The Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12 are quite popular with Kemper users. Of course, there a bunch of Atomic CLR owners, here on TGP. XiTone, Matrix and Mission also produce fantastic active monitor solutions. I have been quite satisfied with my passive XiTone 1x12 wedge. They also offer an active (powered) version.

Cheers,
John

Trending Topics