Complex pedal chain questions.......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by terrapin, Jan 26, 2012.

1. terrapin

terrapin Member

I have alot of really nice pedals that I really like to use. When I am playing out I pick the right tools for the job and only take those. At home in my music room I like to keep most all of them hooked up and ready to use. Here is the list of pedals in the order I am currently running them:

Skreedy PigMine
    AnalogMan Astro Tone
    Skinpimp Fuzz face
    Tu-2
    Mini Deja Vibe
    Wampler Black '65
    Durham Zia Drive
    Lumpy's Liquid Led (running at 18 volts)
    Lumpy's Lemon Drop
    Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
    EHX Stereo Poly Chorus
    Keeley Katana Boost

I am not running long cable lengths. 6' Mogami cables from guitar to pedals and from pedals to amp. 6" George L or Lava patch cables. All pedals powered through two PP2+'s except the fuzz pedals which are running off batteries..

My question involves "popping" that is beginning to occur mostly when I engage a pedal and less frequently when I disengage a pedal. I THINK this has to do with buffers? Which of my pedals actualy have buffers (other than the Tu-2)? Is my pedal order off? I run the fuzz pedals before the TU-2 as I have been told that fuzz pedals do not liike to see a buffer?

In general what can I do to get rid of the popping issue?

Thanks....................................

2. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

does it pop any time you hit EVERY pedal? that just doesn't make sense. if that's the case, i don't think it's a buffer issue. might be a power supply issue.

so which pedals pop?

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

No it is not all the pedals. The fuzz pedals never pop, but the OD pedal seem to be the consistent poppers. I have been using Voodoo Labs voltage splitter cables on some of the OD's to avoid having to use two power supplies.

4. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Keep all the offending pedals plugged in and wire them direct to the Pedal Power (remove pedals that aren't causing problems for the time being). Does it still do it? And if it is just one or two pedals, do they do it when plugged in by themselves?

5. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Check your George L's.

6. terrapin

terrapin Member

Did that...........all good.

7. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Check each pedal individually to see if it still pops.
    Then, one at a time, add pedals to your chain, testing after each addition.

Hey you're in Oceanside?
    I played a backyard gig there back in the mid 80's
    Beautiful area.

8. terrapin

terrapin Member

Yes, this seems like a good place to start. Yes, Oceanside is a pretty nice place! TOOOOO many people!

Still would like to know which of my pedals actualy have buffers? I know the TU-2 has one that is NOT well respected. Doesn't the Hardwire DL-8 have one? And, doesn't the Katana Boost have one?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012