Compliment 10" speaker to Tone Tubby 40/40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PopsDiesel, Feb 16, 2015.

1. PopsDiesel

PopsDiesel Supporting Member

Looking for a 10" speaker to compliment a Tone Tubby 40/40 in Fender Custom Vibrolux (w/Moyer Mod). Thanks!

2. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

My '82 Fender Concert with 2 10's is very versatile, from Fender cleanes to mild OD.

The two Eminence 10's were kinda bright all of the time, a very cutting amp! So, while I liked the tone, it was a bit too much, so I added a TT 40/40 to bring up the mids and bottom a bit. Still strong, but a nice mix that de-emphasized that treble punch. I believe the Eminence speaker is an equivalent to a Legend 1058. But no one has ever pinpointed that, tho I asked. Big Fender sound now.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well big thing is finding one that TT 100db rating won't overpower.

Do you want darker smoother or something a bit looser, brighter and vintage sounding?

4. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

Celestion Gold or Red Fang

5. PopsDiesel

PopsDiesel Supporting Member

It's loaded with 2 TT's and I would describe the tone as warm, dark, heavy mids. I would like to add a speaker that brings some clear highs and presence without the "icepick" thing

6. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

Since the TT is so focused in that direction, I know it well, I would get away from the British voiced speakers. I am intrigued by all the great opinions about WGS options.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd say a Emi Copperhead, 98.8db so it should keep up with TT pretty well. It's a little brighter and a little more "papery" sounding than 40/40 so it's perceived brightness should make up for that 1db SPL that TT has over it. It's American voiced but it's top is still very non-shrill/ice picky.

Other would be Rajin Cajun, but I find it a little shrill at times but it is equal to TT in loudness. It's overt brightness and equal SPL would probably dominate over the TT to much for my ears.

8. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

I have a Fender custom shop labeled 60 watt Celestion (mid '90s from a Fender with a Celestion gold in my Vibroverb RI. Not sure of the sensitivity rating but it's right up there with a 99db rated Gold. Seams to be what you are looking for soundwise. I have a second one I'm not using. If you would like to try it risk free P.M. me.