Compress goes first on your board or . . .

Mister Natural

Gold Supporting Member
sorry, this has prolly been asked 44 times previously but :

my little optical compressor goes at the front or in the middle somewhere
- and if in the middle, just after what type of EFX and what EFX follow ???

TIA
peace

Atmospheric

I’ve never been able to get compression after dirt to work for me. I think it makes the dirt sound really weird and synthetic. Apparently others can make it work. I can’t. Comp first in chain for me. Always on.

rawkguitarist

Before drives, after wah, phaser, works well, takes any peaks.
What mr. Thought POPO said.

For my gig board I use an Analogman Mini-Bicomp - Ross side is for my clean tones. Orange Squeezer side is used as a clean boost/additional compression to my lower gain crunch tones from my Direct Drive. So yeah... up high in the chain. Mine is the 4th pedal in line right after my Boss CH-1 that is mainly used as a buffer high in my chain. Wah and fuzz are only pedals before the CH-1.

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
I have a cali76 cd and tried it before and after drives, after a lot of tests, I prefer it before drives, at the beginning.

'90s Pacifica

I can't get my (admittedly budget) compressor to work anywhere in my chain. I dust it off and test it from time to time but it never stays. I know I'm missing something here..

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Best after fuzz and I prefer mine before OD so I can hit them like a booster. I use the a Diamond optical comp jr. Of course experimentation will be your best guide. You may use your comp different than I do.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
After all drives. I make it function like a studio compressor. Allows all the playing dynamics to interact with anything before it. Then it tames the dbs and/or spikes going into the modulation effects. Very effective when you're not running through an amp with an effects loop, which is me about 99.8% of the time.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
Depends entirely on what you want it to do.

On my main board it’s essentially first (there are other devices first - like wah and fuzz, but they are never on the same time as the comp...), but I only use it for clean tones - sometimes followed by chorus, delays, and/or verb. For dirty tones all it really does for me is limit the touch sensitivity and raise the noise floor, neither of which I want.

But if you want it to act similar to a limiter - for example, clamping peaks and limiting the dynamic range of your overall sound - near the end may work better for you.

M

Member 202408

I like them after all my dirt pedals. But dead last in the chain can work as well, if you want to use it as an overall limiter.

MrSoftV

My Cali76 stacked goes after filter, fuzz and drives but before any tube driven pedals and modulation.

FWIW I think studio style compressors work well later in the chain where as dyna comp types don't have the headroom and work better early in the chain for that chicken pickin squish effect.

Wag

I like to put mine in the closet. I still get as much out of it there as I did when it was taking up valuable real estate on my little pedal board. For the life of me I just could not ever figure out how to use the thing. No amount of fiddling ever seemed to produce any desirable results. I simply accepted that that was the point where I hit my "efx pedal intelligence ceiling". :confused:

Stratburst70

I use mine after drives. I keep the Blend around 50% and crank the sustain. That allows me to keep the attack and dynamics of my drives but be able to get harmonic feedback at reasonable volumes.

Trending Topics