Compressed Compressor Comparison (Janglebox/PGC/Diamond/Ibanez/ToneCore/McSqueeze)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Heres a condensed comparison of some comps I have ( The Janglebox is a loaner and I was curious how it stood up to the others I have ) that might be useful to some here......

Well they are all a little different, and of course alot will depend on what you want from a compressor,,, but heres what I heard ----- Tele into a Deluxe reverb ~~~

I like the McSqueeze, it has a 'character'- its not supposed to be transparent and I like it best infront of a drive as a solo boost as it gives some compression (more limiting really) and a general beefing up that transfers well to an OD pedal...one knobber without much control, you get what you get......

the Janglebox has three settings, one is a treble rolloff/darkening, middle is a normal', which has a slight brightening effect - and the bright setting which is very well named [​IMG] this is 'that!' sound spot on , byrds and rickies come to mind and its very useful for some things... problem is once your ears adjust to that sound and you then disengage the pedal its like 3 blankets dropped over your sound - similar to a Rangemaster into an Orange Squeezer :D - this is more of a treble booster type effect....the only downer is the AC tap is 'in there' a bit and my rightangle plug wouldnt stay in...but its very versatile between the three settings and has a pretty natural response, more open like an opto comp than a Ross/Dyna variant....

The Diamond is pretty straight foward clear comp -but has an EQ knob thats very useful and at its full clockwise trebliest setting can get close to the Janglebox bright setting, I never found a straight neutral tone setting (same EQ on and off ) but I found some settings I like better as a clarity boost...and you gotta love the active LED :AOK .

the Pale Green comp is a very natural sounding pedal with no tricks other than tone enhancement, it has a nice fidelity that slightly improves the overall tone and the body knob makes some tasteful adjustments, but this is basically more about keeping your tone intact than having a great effect on it....and the natural feel of the attack is excellent..

the Ibanez is what most of us expect from a VCA ''pedal' comp, but Ive always liked this particular one, its pretty close to natural with a slight rounding at the top, also nice infront of an over drive as a boost and pretty quiet..

the Tonecore was a nice suprise - very good clear comping- feels more like a rack type comp, and three different settings I still dont quite have a handle on ~but most varieties of the comp beast are in there and its low noise and this would do most people just fine...

they all are good quality comps it just depends what you need and what you want to spend

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I love my Diamond, but the Pale Green sounds even better for what I use the diamond for.

Would you recommend the PG over the Diamond for an always-on, cleaning up your playing type compressor? For the record, I leave the comp knob at 9:00

3. Don Rusk

Yeah for that I would... the Diamond is more versatile/covers more ground with the EQ knob......

The PGC has a real tasty 'fidelity' feel to it I dont quite hear anywhere else - the subtle attack makes you forget its there and theres something going in the overall pedal that improves the tone to the point that you want it back on, even with the comp turned down or off;) but thats one thing BJs known for if youve played an SBEQ or HB etc....

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

Couldn't have said it better, I haven't played without the PGC since it arrived at my door. It enhances the sound you have in a very subtle way and the volume can be reduced from the guitar better than any comp I've tried.

Interesting to see you run the body knob fully clockwise, Donner. I use Tele > AC30 and generally prefer the body set about 10'o'clock, where I find it adds some sparkle and tightens up the low end a tiny bit. Fully cranked like that makes it a warm & beefy, ross-like sound.

The Body knob is a wonderful control.

5. Don Rusk

Yeah I usually use it there too, between 10 and noon, thats just where it was when I took the pic after some experiments...:AOK

6. muddy

muddy Member

very helpful, donnie, thanx! i've been lusting after a pale greenie ever since you recommended it to me. you left off the menatone jac, btw. GREAT for transparent-ish goosting!

ml

7. Don Rusk

glad to be of help muddy - yeah this was just a little look-see-hear, I left alot off ; ]
    JAC is a great one and theres a new smaller version coming that Ill probably have to revist ; ]

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I love my JangleBox! I use it almost all the time, and I have effects recipes that draw on all three of the sound settings. Best pedal I bought in 2005 (maybe ever!).

9. drolling

drolling Member

Nice compare & contrast review DonneR. I have the Diamond and the Janglebox and am pretty much in agreement w/your assessment.

Of course, I'd love to have a PGC, and reading about it sure didn't help any..

BTW, I remember the custom delay you had from Diamond. What's the story on the 'stripped-down' look of the compressor. Mine's the standard canary yellow, but that bare metal does have a cool *industrial strength* vibe...

10. threm

threm Member

I guess Donner has some paint in the kitchen he wants to use. :angel

11. Don Rusk

Yeah theres no dogs in this bunch, just options and price points :AOK

The Diamond is from the MysToury boxes, might get a paint job in the spring......

12. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

yes. i think the pale green is perfect for always leaving it on. sounds a lot better with drives that the diamond does. and it's very easy to dial in as being transparent (like the diamond), tone enhancer, from just noticing a change in a pick attack, so really suquishy country stuff.

the diamond was my first compressor, and although it was great, i needed more squish. i got the pale green and realized that i could still get the diamonds tones but with a lot more tweakability and options.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

thanks for the unneeded GAS guys.

How much does a PGC go for?

14. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

like 270, same as all bjf pedals.

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I think the Diamond is awesome, and it is transparent enough to leave on all the time. I have had three different Keeley compressors, and some others that just killed your highs and your natural tone too much. But the Diamond leaves everything in tact, so at low setting it works like a clean boost in a way, but does add clean musle to your tone. I will eventually try the PGC, but the price is just a littl high. Plus I'm really happy so far with the Diamond, and was happy as soon as I pluged it in.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

16. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Guys I'm telling you, the Diamond Comp makes everything sound better running into a fender amp. I running Diamond Compressor, into the TIM, or TIMMY, and it freakin amazing. I am soo pleased with this pedal. Man!! Thank you Rich (Fast Ricky Love). The EQ, is amazing also, this is probably the best friend of the TIM, Or TIMMY..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

17. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

FWIW, I've been thrilled with the new Maxon CP-9 Pro+. It's not cheap, but having been through too many pedals to count, I've found it to be the most transparent and useful compressor I've had the pleasure of using. I don't know if it's the 18V circuitry or the dbx guts, but frankly I don't care. I only use comps *after* ODs, an it truly excels in this role -- evening out volume without messing with distortion variations, with no discernible attack artifacts or EQ changes. Definitely a "contender" in the compressor sweepstakes.

- DB

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The Pale Green is totally a tone enhancement tool...
    & should be advertised that way...

If I had enough doe... would have one on board just to give
    my tone a clear, clean mojo & use another compressor with more squish
    on tap as the actual compressor