Compression- absolutely necessary for a newbie studio?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by guitguy28, Feb 6, 2008.

1. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

For my newbie studio, I have on a PC laptop: Cubase LE, an Alesis USB interface, an inexpensive dynamic and an inexpensive condenser mic.

One thing I don't have is a compressor, but what am I missing out by not having one for making basic demos?

2. moody07747

moody07747 Member

I would have to say no as cheaper gear will haev cheap ADA converters so IMO, sending the audio out of your PC will only harm it more.

When it comes to low end studios I feel its best to stick with computer compressors.

Now if you must have a compressor for say vocals and it has to be between the preamp and mic, then you will need a hardware compressor but I would probably only go as low as the FMR Audio RNC

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/1001.html

3. KillerV

KillerV Member

+1 on a plugin compressor. If Cubase LE doesn't come with one, there are a couple of really nice ones availible for free. Have a look at the VST plugins you can get at www.digitalfishphones.com. They're all free and you get a vintage-style comp, a de-esser and a noise-gate/expander that are all very nice and have gotten great reviews.

Also have a look at www.kvraudio.com for more plugins.

I'd stick with plugins (like loads of guys do) untill you can get a really good hardware comp if you still feel you need one.

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

A killer outboard one can be a great thing. The inexpensive ones can really destroy your sound. Count on spending 700+ for one. I would say that unless you are really dealing with wild transients, just use the one included in most recording packages after the fact.

5. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

To the original question i'd say no. Compression is important but it can be pretty complicated and can do more harm than good if you don't know how to apply it. If your just starting out, you have enough on your plate already. Before you spend money on a comp or plugins, learn everything you can about compression and how to use it.

Heres some good reading on the ins and outs of compression. There's a lot to know about compression

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/articles3.htm

7. eru

eru Member

If the rest of what you're doing in the computer is up to snuff, you'll always get more for your money (often $0) with software, even if it has a dedicated FW DSP device like the newer SSL (et al.) stuff.

Maybe it's the Trance (techno, to the lay people) DJ in me, but unless there's a specific sound from a specific piece of gear you really want, then what matters are good mics, good preamps, good cables, good interfaces, well setup software, and a computer that can keep up.

Live is a different story.

8. KPO

KPO Member

I use a TLaudio Fatman stereo tubecompressor to fatten up a lot of signals before they go to the harddisk. If you compres gentle your recorded signals sound warmer, richer.

9. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

I think in your EQ section in Cubase there is a compressor already. There has been since WAY BACK in the Cubase lineage so you will (or should ) see it when you open up the effects and/or eq section for each track.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I agree that software compression at this point makes more sense.

11. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

A 7 or 8 years ago I had 5 dedicated outboard compressors. Eventually I sold 'em all off, as I just didn't use them any more.

I'm a UAD whore and tend to favor their compressor simulations - LA2A, LA3A, 1176, Fairchild, and the nice comp on their Neve 88RS channel strip.

Decent quality freebies abound, too, I've had luck with Blockfish fro Digital Fish Phones.

12. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

13. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Agree with most here--go the software route, learn to use them, then go get some hw if you prefer it....

For compression in mixing, I also use a UAD-1.