Compressor Advice - no Tone Press, please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cber1517, Mar 25, 2008.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Hey everybody,

I have been through a whirlwind of pedal flipping in the past week. I have been using the Tone Press and Silver Kiss together but never was quite satisfied with the noise level with the compressor engaged (I know compressors can be noisy BTW) nor the harshness of the Silver Kiss at medium gain settings. I wanted the compressor to smooth it out but never felt quite there - either too subtle or too noisy.

I traded them in towards the Durham Sex Drive thinking a clean boost with some compression may do the trick for a light OD and compressor - nope. I know people love the Sex Drive but I found it to be harsh or too dull with the tone controls. It only changes towards the very end of the pot sweep. I could not "feel" the soft or hard compression settings either.

I took the Sex Drive back and traded it towards a Menatone Foxy Brown. I love the "sag" feature and the interesting tone sweep. I think I have finally found a pedal that works with humbuckers and single coils that doesn't muddy up or sound too thin/harsh.

Now I would like to try another compressor since I have a store credit. What are your recommendations? I don't care about a clean bend. I just want a really good, quiet compressor. Maxon? Keeley? Diamond? T-Rex?

What say you?

:munch

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

My TP adds zero noise. Not sure why yours is.

3. cber1517

cber1517 Member

It was accentuated with mild OD. Prisitine clean wasn't so bad. I really think I want a more obvious compressor tone than the Tone Press. I dipped my toe in the compressor pool so to speak with the Tone Press and now realize I want a more vintage compression - I think!

:)

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Well that makes perfect sense. Just a word of warning though, if you thought the TP added noise, just wait until you get a vintage Ross style working.

I like the Diamond Compressor or the Maxon CP+ Pro (which is a DBX in a stompbox). If you want vintage on the cheap, an MXR Dyna Comp might work for you too.

5. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

All comps will change the tone some and excentuate the noise coming into the input. I found the Keeley 4 knob to work very well because the Trim knob allows you to lower the threshold and just get a nice smoothing out of the signal without a lot of squish or noise coming up as the comp decays.

I've always wanted to try the Diamond as that looks like and supposedly sounds like a very good comp. The Keeley while not perfect has remained as one of two pedals I have kept since purchase...that and my Blackstone OD. The four knobs allow for excellent tweaking. BTW, I use the comp after the OD.

6. cacibi

cacibi Member

+1 for the Maxon CP9 Pro +; it's extremely transparent and very quiet. Not cheap - but probably the last you will buy.

7. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

What amp are you using. I've experienced some of the same issues you're describing when there was a bright cap in the amp. Not saying that is definately your problem, but when I hear of multiple quality ODs sounding harsh, that is the first thing I suspect.

D

8. Feller

Feller Member

I found the Ross side of my Analogman Bicomprosser to be much quieter and less squashed than the four knob Keeley.

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Definitely try the Analogman Bi-Comp or the Juicer.

10. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

:jo EHX BlackFinger Compressor....check it out sounds amazing on electric or acoustic. Very transparent and smooth. Studio grade compressor in a stompbox. List price is about $189.00 USD but you can find used ones all the time. Pretty big though so it will take some room up your board. Requires there special power adapter though that is supplied with the pedal. Here's a link to check it out. My vote, EHX Black Finger :)

EHX BLack Finger

11. TimH

TimH Member

+1!

12. Digby

Digby Senior Member

BBE Opto-Stomp.

Soft knee compression, quiet and transparent.

Digby

13. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

According to his signature it is a Blues Junior and that amp has a 100pf bright cap on the volume pot.

I agree about the affect of a bright cap and OD pedals.

-Tim

14. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

The T-Rex is really, really quiet, almost studio-like..
    the only 'downside' is that it isn't as squishy as say a Boss CS-series..
    Not sure about the Tone Press..

I loved the h*ll out of the T-Rex.. But moved on because of lack of space, the next comp I'm meaning to try is a Dynacomp-like or a Ross-like (Keeley..?)

15. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I have never heard that about the bright cap. Thanks for the info!

:AOK

16. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

The cmatmods signa compressor is the best i have heard. Completelty dead quiet. I had a keeley comp. that I though was very good and I sold it onced i tried the cmatmods. It is DEAD quiet.

17. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Thanks for all of your input! I went out at lunch and picked up the EH Nano Soul Preacher. Plugged it in with knobs at noon and attack on fast and immediately liked it! I really liked the three attack modes and found them all to be useful. I was playing a cheap strat through a Marshall solid-state too :puh. I thought if it sounded good through those it would sound good through a tube amp with hotter pickups with maybe a little tweaking. Then again, I may be posting back on this thread in a couple of days saying it didn't work out!! :crazy

Isn't pedal swapping fun???

:dude

18. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Following up on my Soul Preacher post yesterday - love the pedal!! First word to describe it - fun...ky! Fun and funky. This is the best plug and play pedal for me. Unity volume is at 9:00 which I like because I can goose the amp a little if I want by setting volume and sustain at noon. I was very surprised at how quiet it is. I also find the three attack settings quite useful. If you are looking for a transparent compressor this may not be for you but if you like the "sound" of a compressor when it's on then try one out! It also sounds great with my new Menatone Foxy Brown - liquid Gilmour-like leads on the neck pickup and great, slightly dirty funk.
    I feel like my pedal selections are taking me back to the 70's! Now I just need an auto-wah!

:hiP