Compressor before or after auto-wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dorfmeister, Jan 9, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I've gotten a Boss AW-2 Auto-Wah. Should I put my compressor in front of it or after it?

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

After. An auto wah it dynamics based and a compressor by nature is going to kill some of your dynamics.

3. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Yes but the compressor is going to also level out the signal if it's after and will tame some of the quack sound. I just wouldn't use the two effects at the same time and you will be fine. I have the same dilema with my regular wah pedal.

4. dB

dB Member

I think it depends on how you use your compressor. I use a comp to fatten out and boost my level. I have always run my comp before my Mutron because the Mutron likes to see a nice, fat boosted signal to really quack. On the other hand if you use a comp to squish the signal, I just wouldn't use the two together. Mutron's, and auto wahs in general, respond to big, open signals.

5. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

With the AW-2 you'll need to give it a boosted signal and even with comp you can have some dynamics