compressor before or after OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ned, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Ned

Ned Member

i have an analogman bi comp and i have been running it before my overdrive pedals, but now ive seen some people run it after, so i was wondering what the general flow of ideas and opinions was on this topic? thanks!

2. drolling

drolling Member

The general rule is comp before OD, but there's plenty of situations where it works better after. You'll have to use very different setiings, of course. Heavy compressor will raise the noise floor of your OD, to name just one. Let your ears be the judge.

I don't take those rules about pedal placement very seriously anymore. I like my modulation before distortion, for example. If I hadn't tried it one day (by accident) I'd have missed out on some wonderful sounds..

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I use mine after. I like to have the guitar direct (or through a TB wah) into the OD's, AND I like the sound better after. Also, in most situations I don't use them at the same time, I mainly use compression on my clean sound.

Another nice thing, I actually have it both ways because I use OD, then compressor, but I also use the "lead" channel on my amp, in which case the compressor is before the "OD".

So for me it is the most flexible approach.

4. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

With the understanding that Tone is totally Subjective; I have to say that I like what I hear with my comp. running after the OD. For some reason it just smoothes out the OD and I like it.

Guitar > Keeley Fuzz Head > Keeley Java Boost > Keeley Compressor >Delay > Keeley Katana Boost > Amp

Works for me!

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use my comp before my OD pedals. Can really change the character of a TS-type OD beautifully.

6. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

i go od->bicomp->od for my bands gigs.

that way i can get all that sick sustain and saturation from the ts-9 into the comprosser and used the 2nd as a volume boost for solos.

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I used to used it before overdrive, but lately I'm finding I like it better after. It seems to simply smooth things out when placed after the ods and really squishes when it's before. Both have their uses.

Stompboxblues also mentioned something that I find true. My ods/boosts tend to compress enough on their own so I mainly find the compressor useful on clean parts. In fact, I don't really have mine on that much.

BTW, I have an older Keeley Comp from 2002 and it is my favorite.

8. Teahead

Teahead Member

I use, Hot Silicon Fuzz > BJF Comp > Fuzz Head to cover my needs. I can still work my volume knob for the dynamics of the Hot Silicon and the comp adds presence to the sound. I can also push the Fuzz Head with the comp, which suits because the Fuzz Head likes to be pushed more than the Silicon fuzz.

I never liked "Ross" type comps after dirt pedals because they really warm the sound up (chop treble) although they can also help to smooth the tone, as some have said. The BJF PGC has been a great discovery for me though, the neutral eq completely changed my opinion on where a comp can be in the chain.

9. DK207

DK207 Member

I put my comp 1st in the chain before anything else. I just didn't like the tone it gave me after my OD pedals, kind of "flat" to my ears.

10. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Mine is after - I like how it smooths out the tone.

11. alberob

alberob Member

The rule with pedals is that there are no rules.I prefer comp. after od.Try it every which way.Thats the fun of pedals.