• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Compressor Choice

Adam Zaiger

If you had to choose between a Keeley 4-knob and an Analog Bi-Compressor (both used and ready for delivery), what one would you get?

Is it really Keeley = more transparent & hi-fi vs. Analogman = more colored and slightly more versatile w/the choice between Ross/DA flavors.

bassethound

Tough call. I've got a Keeley 2 knob and I love it. IMO, it's very transparent and subtle. It does "just enough," which is why I dig it (if that makes sense). I've never tried a Bi-Comp but I recently picked up an AM Juicer that I can't seem to turn off lately. I can't really comment on the Bi-Comp but I'd assume the Ross side is quality (as AM products invariably are). I guess if the prices are comparable, I'd go AM simply b/c you get Ross + DA. I'm guessing you can't go wrong either way.

B_of_H

I love my Orange Squeezer and I think the bi-comp's ross side is comparable to the keeley.

I have a better idea though: buy a byoc 5-knob and an orange squeezer for the same price. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Coach

I have owned:

BJF PGC
Boss CS-2
Diamond Compressor
Analogman Juicer
Analogman Bi-comp
Keeley Comp
MXR Script Dyna Comp Reissue

And while I've really liked all of them, there is something I really like about the dyna comp. I'm not even sure what it is, but it just has the perfect sound I'm looking for in a compressor.

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
I started my compressor journey with the Boss CS-3
then I moved to the keeley 2 knob, and then to the mini bi-comp. I just bought a BJF pale green comp and that is now my main comp. I really like the mini bi-comp too so I'm keeping it. The keeley and boss are gone though, and I don't miss them too much
jump on the bi comp, you won't regret it!

Last edited:

nibus

I'm not too hot on the Keeley... I'd go analogman.

If you want a Ross style compressor but better, get the Mad Professor or BJF.

B_of_H

keeley 2 knob is essentially a ross. i'd go for the analog man to have both types.

they are both ross clones. The added knobs are for the most part just variable resistors instead of fixed ones in the circuit.

except the byoc which is a ross clone but has a mix knob.

uke

Check out the GoudieFX compressor (Ross clone with more high end), quiet and transparent, real similar to the Keeley which I had. I like it it a touch better than Tone Press too, easier to set up and less noise. Bonus is, the Goudie stuff is very well priced.

rawkguitarist

The Keeley is a great compressor, especially if you want it to not sound like a compressor. But like some have mentioned, it's not "squishy" enough. I like to be able to either hear the compressor on and let is squish a bit. BUT I like it to be able to get very subtle too. I'm amazed actually at how good my BYOC Ross Clone turned out. Offers both of the qualites I need.

But if I wanted to buy a pre-built compressor my top two choices include the AM Bi-Comp and the Mad Professor Forest Green Comp. The two classic circuit types in one pedal is a plus on that Analogman one.

If you had to choose between a Keeley 4-knob and an Analog Bi-Compressor (both used and ready for delivery), what one would you get?

Is it really Keeley = more transparent & hi-fi vs. Analogman = more colored and slightly more versatile w/the choice between Ross/DA flavors.
Figured your original question needed a Quote with all the farming going on in the thread..
Between the two I would go with the Bicomp.Great piece of gear.

Rockprocess

Silver Supporting Member
Had the Keeley 4 knob and Analogman bi-comp. Sold both and kept the '76 reissue Dyna Comp.