Compressor for Acoustic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by akagilligan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. akagilligan

akagilligan Member

Thinking clean blend may be a good idea...Wampler Ego or Empress

Then thought effectrode.....

Looking for some light compression and tone enhancement.

Any recommendations?

2. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

Well what sort of tone enhancements are on the table? Reverb, chorus, EQ, delay? Also, what sort of means of amplification are you using?

As it pertains to compression...I have tried a bunch of different options but always wound up removing it from the chain. I feel like it robbed the acoustic of its natural sustain.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. akagilligan

akagilligan Member

Run an H9 into a Rivera Sedona Lite.

Light compression didn't enhance your tone?

4. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Member

Personally, I find the Fishman Aura Spectrum pretty awesome for acoustic, but it requires an acoustic-electric with a standard sort of piezo‑electric pickup.

For cool, light compression, alone, for any sort of acoustic pickup, the three that pop to mind first are Barber Tone Press, Wampler Ego and the Carl Martin Compressor.

Then, for a studio sort of tube-driven compressor in pedal form that's good for just about anything, including vocals, there's the MarkBass Compressore (it was designed for bass, though...which I find to be a cool thing...it's not an "effect" compressor, it's an enhancement compressor).

5. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The new Keeley GC-2 would be worth checking out for this, I think. Also Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter and Empress. As akagilligan mentions, the H9 compressor is pretty nice, as well.

6. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Empress is my weapon of choice for acoustic. Definitely want something with a blend knob. And don't underestimate the utility of the LED metering... very handy for setting things up quickly & easily. It also looks pretty cool, too, which is a nice bonus. :aok

Had the new Keeley units been out last year when I was looking, I would also have considered their new Compressor Pro, though it's even more pricey than the Empress. Haven't had a chance to A/B them, but it's clearly designed to compete with that level of compressor. The GC-2 might work too, but the Pro has more control options & better metering, features which I feel are particularly important with acoustics vs. electrics.

7. wharris

wharris Member

I use the MXR bass compressor with my acoustic.

8. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I use a Mooer yellow comp.

9. Conrad MacIntyre

Conrad MacIntyre Member

Ross-style comps have been great to me on acoustic. Go from finger-picking to strumming and keep the volume consistent. Really nice.