Compressor for blues tones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by reallylost, Sep 27, 2005.

1. reallylost

reallylost Member

Hello,

I've never used a compressor but I'm wondering if one could be used
    to get a natural compression sound without driving the amp to high volumes?

Music is mostly old slow blues.

Can anybody make any suggestions here?

John.

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I play blues based rock and I use a Boss CS-3 set for a very subtle effect and it works great for what you are describing.

3. reallylost

reallylost Member

Thank you.

Can anyone else suggest other brands/models?

John.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

I play mainly blues most of the time.... I really don't like compressors personally.... Maybe a clean boost like the Fulltone Fat Boost is what you're looking for?! It'll just make your sound bigger..... Also look into the Xotic AC Boost, I believe that's the one I'm thinking of!

5. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah, compressors and Blues don't really mix in my mind - I like to hear all the dynamics and overtones and rawness that compressors typically blanket in my limited experience with them. I think a booster might be a better idea as well...

6. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Barber tone press. Parallel compression use the blend knob to adjust the mix of straight guitar signal and compressed signal. You can set it so it's subtle or get it to cluck.

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The Maxon CP101 is a very transparent compressor, I use it allot, I then feed it into a Fulltone Fat Boost, between the two I get all of the sustain and the boost gives it the pop again. I have played a few blues jams and more than a few players were using the Barber Tone Press also, and they loved it. The blend feature is great according to them. So that is another pedal on the list of ones to get.

TheGrooveking

8. Den

Den Member

+1 If you really want a compression pedal, this is one of the best.

9. coolguitars

coolguitars Guest

10. reallylost

reallylost Member

Thanks all,

Sounds like a compressor isn't what I really need ... but I'm going to
    get one anyway ;-) They sound like fun!

John.

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

What kind of amp are you using? If by "old slow blues" you mean a T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, etc. kind of sound, a compressor in combination with some amp distortion with give you a bit of "sag". Old amps with tube rectifiers, the kind that the old guys played, are known for that kind of compression. If you're talking a Freddie or Albert King kind of tone, then I wouldn't use a compressor at all... that kind of tone is all about dynamics, which a compressor is specifically designed to limit.

12. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

It's something you really need to try for yourself. If set properly (ie. very minimal compression & squash) it works great IMO. You just need to be sure to dial it in so that it doesn't totally kill your pick attack and also be sure to set the sustain control to a minimum...only enough to keep the notes in the sweet spot a bit longer. Almost to the point where if you were to accidentily turn it off while playing you might not even notice...but not quite. ;)

Just be aware that every compressor reacts differently (I found that out the hard way..$$$$) :( so you may need to try a few before you find one that works well with your rig and for your specific application.

13. reallylost

reallylost Member

I like the idea of "keep the notes in the sweet spot a bit longer".

From reading around the board it seems like the Barber Tone Press,
    the Maxon CP-101 and the Keeley might be the ones to look at
    further.

I get the impression that the Orange Squash types are very jangly.
    Am I correct? I'd like to avoid jangle (for want of a better term).

John.

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

What you may be looking for is a compressed OD tone. Meaning an OD pedal that is not too transparent.

I should just change my name to it, but the TC Jauernig DGTM pedal gives me a beautiful bluesy tone, with the toggle switch on the left

15. onemind

onemind Member

Off Topic perhaps, but one of the best "bluesy" sounds I get is with a Toneman Rangemaster pedal.

[​IMG]

(s)

16. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    I'd suggest the Pedalworx McSqueeze. It's a sweet version of the Orange Squeezer compressor, with higher quality components, or with the flip of a toggle switch, it's a transparent clean boost instead. Does everything that you've wanted, and it's inexpensive to boot! I've owned one for a long time...big bang in a small footprint.

Write Bob McBroom

Tell him Slick51 sent ya...

;)

Slick51

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I use a Keeley Compressor most of the time, with volume equalized and just enough compression. Placement is key to hit your sweet spot, and I do as Keeley recommends, place AFTER my FD II or Klon. IMO it's a cleaner, more consistent effect that way. A bit of compression evens things out while still allowing plenty of expression and is magic for chords. The Keeley is still one of the great benchmark comps

18. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

The HBE is what you need...I have 6 comps. I use the HBE. Very amplike.

19. reallylost

reallylost Member

Thank you all again.

I'll probably get a compressor at some point - just to augment my tonal range.

Thanks again.

John.

20. jockman

jockman Member

Going against the trend for expensive "botique" pedals, I suggest you give the Line6 Consrictor a try. A great pedal, 3 types of compression, and great for keeping your tone but adding sustain. I play in a blues band.

Jon