Compressor for country/chickin pickin

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken Swanson, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

I have absolutely no experience with compressors. In my band we do a few country numbers, and I need one for that clean chickin pickin tone. What do you guys suggest. I probably wouldn't be using it for anything but that. Thanks in advance!:AOK

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Keeley or Analogman get rave reviews. I have the Analogman. Does the Nashville sound you are looking for, but the best way to get that Brent Mason tone is to use hybrid picking.

A compressor alone won't do it. It'll help some, sure, but hybrid is essential.

The aforementioned pedals may be more $ than you want to spend, but are worth it in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

:angel

3. Python

Python Member

The Keeley Compressor is very good for that Nashville sound. I just sold mine for that very reason. I ordered a BJF Compressor because it doesn't have as much squash (although I've been told it can at it's highest settings).

4. JayDA

JayDA Member

I agree with the above poster, I have the Keeley, and it will do the chicken pickin thing without a problem. But you've got to snap those strings a little bit to really get that sound, either with your thumb and fingers or a pick and fingers.

5. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

Diamond Compressor. I play a ton of country, and it can do the squashing while still sounding musicial. Even cranked ALL the way up. And, you can turn it down and leave it on all night because it's so transparent.

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

A 70s/early 80s early MXR Dyna Comp (script logo)...it's what started all that Nashville comp tone in the first place. I liked my Barber Tone Press too, inexpensive, very tweakable and can serve as a fine clean boost if needed.

J

8. astainback

astainback Member

I built a BYOC Compressor that is a clone of the old school Ross Compressor.
    You can build this kit as a MXR DynaComp clone as well. The circuits are very similar.
    If you aren't into building them yourself.. you can have him build it for you.

adrian

9. msp

msp Member

+1 on the byoc ross clone

i know a cat here in town that uses a few byoc (pre-built....he didn't even put them together)

and they are a solid design and descent tone

10. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

11. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

+1 :AOK

12. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies! Some great suggestions. I really like the build your own thing. Might give the byo thing a look see.

13. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Most country shredders I know use keeleys. I have had the chance to view a lot of their rigs. I have two keeleys one two knob and one four knob version, you can't go wrong with either.

14. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I have a Tone Press on the way... The blend knob is what sold me....Killer option IMO.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Keeley kicks major butt!!

But... I built a BOYC Ross clone and man... I've A/B'd it to my buds Keeley, although the controls ramp up a little different, there seems to be no real perceivable tone difference. It's a killer deal too! The Keeley is essentially a high quality Ross Clone it'self.

16. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

www.cmatmods.com Makes a script dynacomp clone that sounds GREAT!! I liked it better than my analogman bicomp (it may just be my style I like better though).

17. drolling

drolling Member

Yep, you need a 'squishy' comp to do this. Diamond's not squishy enough, my opinion, so I've kept my old script logo Dyna for this purpose.

As has been mentioned, pick attack plays a more important role in copping this tone - snap them strings!

But an even bigger part of this tone recipe is a telecaster and a blackface fender amp:RoCkIn

18. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

My Diamond gets plenty squishy if I dime the compression knob. You're just not hearing the unpleasant artifacts every other pedal comp I've ever used has...or am I missing the point and you actually like those artifacts? I love my Diamond for the way it doesn't screw with the attack of the note too much. It's not leaving my board, ever.-Eric

19. drolling

drolling Member

oH YEAH! Don't get me wrong - the Diamond comp is one of my all time favorite pedals in any category. Like the SeaBlue EQ, it's always on!

But as someone mentioned upstream, the '70s DynaComp's the one that started it all.. the one you hear on countless recordings. When I want that sound, it'll always be my first choice. The unnatural way it clamps down on the attack is the whole idea.

I use the Diamond more for EQ'ing, and sometimes as a booster - what it does to a good OD (like the HoneyBee, for example) has to be heard to be believed! Far more effective than stacking drive pedals - it provides another stage of what sounds, and even feels so much like power tube distortion.. a whole new experience for me..

But, like I said, I'll be keeping the DynaComp.;)

And while I'm still up here shooting off my mouth, I'll recommend another pedal that does a dang good job on cowboy music; the Boss CS-2 - the old 3 knobber without the useless tone control. It's just perfect for those faux-pedal steel licks that most self-respecting tele players feel compelled to throw into the mix. Many sesion players in Nashville still use 'em to this day for just that purpose.

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to be the skunk at the garden party on this one. It doesn't much matter what compressor you use for chicken pickin' as long as it's basically decent and you season to taste, not to squash. Boss, Guyatone, Maxon, MXR, Carl Martin, Aphex, Digitech, you name it, virtually any pedal will work for your application. So absolutely don't sweat the boutiquiness on this one (this from a confirmed chicken pickin' player).