Compressor help! Torn between Keeley and Barber.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by danut, Aug 9, 2005.

1. danut

danut Member

2. JUS1BEER

JUS1BEER Member

Go with the Barber tone press.....I have had one now for three weeks, about four gigs, and could not be happier. Very subtle sounding peddle. The blend control is very useful, you can squish the sound or just add a hint of sparkle. Very good clean/dirty(with distortion) sustain. I forget and leave it on sometime and it is not a problem. I use it with humbuckers and it does not muddy up the tone, great peddle, go for it. Allen

3. danut

danut Member

How do you have the Tone Press set?
    Thanks!

4. danut

danut Member

Well, one last bump :cool:

5. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I have mine set with volume around 1:30 and blend and sustain around 11:00. Works well for boost and slight comp.

6. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

I've had both for use with my Taylor acoustic and it's actually kind of a hard decision to make when comparing against the NEW Keeley Comp (with internal - or external - attack adjustment). The Keeley certainly allows for more subtle compression, but the Keeley also sweetens up the tone somethin' fierce. It can still be pretty prone to feedback (again, with an acoustic), but there really isn't much at all that I DISlike about the NEW Keeley Comp. It's a tad hard to dial in a constant subtle compression because even with the attack maxed out, it still "swells" towards the end, but in many instances, that can be a really killer tool. Certainly not a big enough issue for me to not like it at all.

I ended up keeping the Barber simply because a buddy of mine who offered to help install laminate hardwood flooring thorughout my whole home for free had been lusting away for a Keeley Comp for quite a while. Giving mine to him was the least I could do to say thanks. Once money allows I wouldn't mind getting another at all.

In complete honesty, I'd probably keep the Barber for my acoustic, and get the Keeley for my electric rig (once I can piece tha tall together). They're both total champs in their own right.

7. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

The only problem I had with the Keeley was using acoustics but now he has a blend knob so that has been rectified. "From my cold dead hands" is how I describe my Keeley comp. I love how it fattens my sound without altering it and I use it at varying levels for everything from country to jazz because it enhances my sound.

Without starting a war, I certainly think you should check into things before believing that the Teese RMC comp is the same quality as the Keeley before you believe it. I have a Teese Picture Wah and love it but the FK-1 is no Keeley.

It is all about tone and Keeley delivers more TONE.

8. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

I believe you mean "attack" and not "blend".

9. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Whoops...thanks for the correction. It certainly isn't a blend knob.

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

11. hazysonic

hazysonic Member

surprised nobody mentioned fmr audio's RNC. I've heard great things about it from ears I trust, but haven't tried it yet myself. It's definitely a transparent compressor and the quality you get for the price is killer.

Maybe the half-rack format steers away guitarists?

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

if you havn't heard it how do you know it's definitely a transparent comp.?

I have one and prefer my BJF Pale/Pine Green Compressor or an Okko Coca Comp. with an E/A guitar going directly through it...I've used the FMR in the insert of my mixer and the FX S/R of my acoustic amp with good results but didn't care for it with my guitar signal going directly through it...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I'm with yous guys ...;)

14. serviviente7

serviviente7 Member

Well I do not know about the barber. Never had one. I did had a kelly and I later purchased a cmatmods. To make a long story short I sold the kelly, not because it was bad because indeed is very good but because the cmatmods is more transparent. I have it on ALL of the time at low settings and i love it.

15. thewex

thewex Member

barber is subtle compression, and i love it! kinda always wanted to try the bi-comp though.