Compressor help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pickleweed, Feb 13, 2012.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

So, I've got compressor troubles. I currently have a barber tone press, which im unsure I'm satisfied with. It balances out my sound, which I like, and is really transparent. but it doesn't really add on much sustain the way I hoped it would. also, when I place it after my dirt, it really seems to neuter more than smooth it out the way I was expecting. So, is there another compressor that can get me what I'm looking for? I want added sustain, balance, slightly smoothing my dirt if needs be(not sure where I want it in the chain yet), all while not killing dynamics. I was looking at the empress compressor, which seems to have the blend like the tone press, but with more tweaking options. Am I looking for more disappointment, or is this a worthwhile switch? Any other options you guys can recommend if the empress ain't the answer? Thanks.

2. odd

odd Member

I'm really happy about my Tone Press. What are your settings?

3. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

ive got it pretty close to the magic dust for single coils setting. ive got volume at 2, blend at eleven-ish, and the sustain i played with, but ive got it at 3 right now.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I love the Aggie TLC. Always on.

I am a bass player though.

5. cacibi

cacibi Member

Can you talk more about your guitars, pickups and the rest of your signal chain?

My initial reaction is: if you need a compressor to smooth out your dirt pedals, you may be better served finding another dirt box that sounds closer to the way you want it, rather than using a compressor to sort it out.

The empress is a great unit - I really love mine and find it to be very, very flexible. At the end of the day though - to get more sustain out of a compressor requires, well - more compression. So that's the trade off between sustain and dynamics when using a compressor.

I owned a Tone Press for awhile and found it to sound great, but noisier than I wanted with single coils. I find the Empress to be very subtle, transparent and quiet. Very easy to dial in on the fly and it does a great job of balancing out the notes and providing an extra bit of sustain.

6. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

sure. ive got an LP going into the tone press ->a modded danelectro daddy-o ->SUF Civil war -> Blackstar HT5 with a wet reverb in the loop. i LOVE what my dirt is doing right now, and was just experimenting with the chain really. so, the smoothing of the dirt isnt necessarily a deal breaker, but i would like it to be a useable option if it can be. in the front, it sweetens my cleans in a good way, but doesnt add the sustain i thought it would, and is really inconsequential on the dirty when its in the front.

maybe im asking it to do something it cant, or maybe im looking to spend money i dont need to spend :? because i generally like my sound right now. i think im looking for added tweakability i guess.

7. cacibi

cacibi Member

Cool, well I think added tweak ability is always a reasonable thing. The Empress would certainly get you that.

But that helps clarify as it sounds like you're really looking for the extra sustain on your clean tone. In all honesty, I have had better luck getting clean sustain from boost pedals than compressors. Something like the Zvex SHO can be really helpful when at the end of the chain, and you can leave it "always on" there - since the boosting there won't change how your dirt pedals are responding. But basically cooking the input signal a little more could be something to try.

8. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

I also say give the Empress a whirl. Before the Empress, every comp I'd ever owned left me feeling like something was missing/incomplete. The Empress however has been completely satisfying. I feel like I can hear the 'kind' of compression I want in my head, then impliment it quickly and effectively.