Compressor Help

GloryJones

I'm looking for some advise on a compressor.

I just bought a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Previously I was playing through a louder, cleaner Fender. Now that I can crank this one to the edge of breakup, my pedalboard is going to change. I was using a Klone as a clean boost, but I'm finding it adds too much in the low end / low mids.

I've never been a big compressor guy. I owned a big box Tone Press for a while but ultimately let it go. I currently have an SP Comp that I find noisy but decent.

I'm a jazz / rock player and I don't need anything with a ton of squish. A blend knob is essential. I'd like to use it as a clean boost and to add light compression. My primary drives are a Timmy and a TS, so I'd like it to play well with both (I stack a lot to get more gain). I'd like it if this pedal could even push my amp into more overdrive, though I'm not sure if that can actually be achieved with a compressor. I think I'd like a pedal with some kind of EQ or tone knob.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Diamond Comp Jr. How's the EQ knob work vs. a tone knob? I also liked the Tone Press and am intrigued by the Compact. I did find that compressor a tiny bit dark, but I see it has some new features that perhaps have addressed that. Lastly I was looking at the Ego Comp. Seems like a solid option.

I have not played any of the aforementioned compressors, but as you can see, transparency is a requirement. My guitar sustains well as it is, but I'd like a pedal that will add a little fullness and sparkle without adding bass.

GloryJones

The Empress looks nice but is a little out of my price range. Should have verified. Trying to keep the price at or under 200.

DaveKS

Where do you run your compressor, before or after od? It matters. Many think comp always 1st.

Me all my comps come after hard distortion/od but before med-light od.

And yes, I use my comps (VFE White Horse and Keeley GC-2) after my hard distortion/od to push amp into more breakup using their output level or makeup gain knobs.

GloryJones

Where do you run your compressor, before or after od? It matters. Many think comp always 1st.

And yes, I use my comps (VFE White Horse and Keeley GC-2) after my hard distortion/od to push amp into more breakup using their output level or makeup gain knobs.
I usually run it first to help push my other overdrives. Maybe I'll reconsider the order.

DaveKS

I usually run it first to help push my other overdrives. Maybe I'll reconsider the order.
Usually when comp does its thing and pushes its vol gain into a following gain circuit, go to far, and you get these noise swells/pumping, if you want comp 1st you have to adjust it so that just makes notes linger longer, not really boosting vol by much, go to far and you get noise swells. Go way to far and you get a pumping sound.

Stratobuc

I've been using a compressor since the early 80's - a Ross. Now, I have an FX Engineering RAF Mirage, and its fantastically, musically transparent - without an extra "blend" knob. Just roll back the compression control, and set the level for a slight boost, and there you go. First in the chain - makes the over-drives and fuzzes sound louder - better - etc. :aok

grimlyflick

I can't say enough good things about my Grace compressor, I'm going to have to get another to put on my larger board to replace my Dyna Comp.
Loads of clean boost, subtle squish when needed and a great clear tone too.
:aok

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
A 4-knob Keeley might help you out. I'm using one after a Red Dirt OD into the same amp. I'm not playing jazz though.

jbxenon

I've been using a compressor since the early 80's - a Ross. Now, I have an FX Engineering RAF Mirage, and its fantastically, musically transparent - without an extra "blend" knob. Just roll back the compression control, and set the level for a slight boost, and there you go. First in the chain - makes the over-drives and fuzzes sound louder - better - etc. :aok
And I will add that the Mirage is extremely quiet, no noise, hiss or other nonsense.

GloryJones

Strymon OB.1. You can thank me later....
The issue here is that the boost and comp don't function independently. The only two switch, non-independent pedal I can justify is the Tim, and that's not even on my board right now.

A 4-knob Keeley might help you out. I'm using one after a Red Dirt OD into the same amp. I'm not playing jazz though.
This sounds like a decent option. I've been eyeing the 4-knob for a while.

Still, I am drawn to the Ego Comp and the Diamond because of the Tone/EQ available. How does the Keeley 4-knob line up with these two?

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Ego might be a bit better, but neck and neck with the newer Keeley comp pro.

I play country and see the Ego more often on stages I share. And if it's not a Wampler, it's a Keeley. I agree from experience that the SP is very useful, but just noisy enough to be replaced.

Multicellular

VFE Whitehorse also has a bass rolloff knob, which might work perfectly for you.

While the Warden doesn't have a blend knob, it does go to pretty low ratios so you don't have to be overly squished, the tone knob also might work for you on that one.

Note I do have an affiliation with VFE.

GloryJones

VFE Whitehorse also has a bass rolloff knob, which might work perfectly for you.

While the Warden doesn't have a blend knob, it does go to pretty low ratios so you don't have to be overly squished, the tone knob also might work for you on that one.

I checked out the Whitehorse. Seemed like a good option, but doesn't look like he's making them anymore.

I think the Ego Comp is the one. Top mounted jacks is definitely a plus.

Thanks for the input.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
The Ego is really good and it has a Tone control to brighten it further if you need that. I'd check the Emporium and get one used in case it doesn't stick.

I also had the big box Tone Press and I really liked it and maybe someday I'll get the compact model.

I do have an SP comp too and, while it's decent, I much prefer the sounds of the Barber and Wampler.

-bEn r.

Stratobuc

The bass knob on the White Horse ADDS bass, it does not roll off bass. I have one. This - from the manual:

The BASS control can EQ higher compression settings to compensate for the perceived treble loss inherent in compression, but also tightens up the drive section for a more natural drive tone.
I keep the bass control rolled off full anti-clockwise to preserve the natural tone of my guitar. The compressor is always first in the chain on my board, after the wah and tuner.

Last edited:

Trending Topics