Compressor-holics... what compressor should I get.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by natejens, Mar 12, 2008.

1. natejens

natejens Guest

I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some of you "compressor-holics" on which one to purchase. In a perfect world I would like to get a Keeley compressor or AnalogMan Mini/Bi-Compressor, but since this is going to be my first one I am looking to spend in the range of $100-$150. Any infromation I could get would be greatly appreciated since I am finally make the step up from Boss and am new to the quote unquote "boutique pedals". Thanks again.

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

3. Frosty

Frosty Member

The Bone Picker "Bone Squeeze". Check for it on e-bay. $150.00
    The only one I have found comparable is the BJF pale green, but it costs a great deal more money.

4. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I love my Boss CS3. It's got the Monte Allums mod, and it sounds incredible. You can find used CS3 for hardly nothing because stock they sound pathetic. The opto mod from Monte costs like $20.

5. minjason

minjason Member

Of all the compressors I've played, the Barber Tone Press and the AYA Compressor have been my favorite.
    I've heard great things about the Maxon too....

6. sgs

sgs Member

One more vote for the Barber Tone Press. It's the 'compressor hater's compressor', but can be used for total squash if you want it...

7. max_1975

max_1975 Member

I depends which kind of compressor do you want. If you want a transparent compressor, I suggest you the Diamond Compressor or the Barber Tone Press.
    I have the Diamond and I love it!

8. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

you should buy my Keeley compressor.

9. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

ha! i didnt like mine at all, im going back to the aya comp, way better, but a bit over this budget i think.

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have a boss cs-3 and a barber toone press...they are both great pedals with a great range of compression plus sustain boost...

my tone press is on my pedalboard, but im not getting rid of the boss...the tone press is more transparent, doesnt color my tone at all, just compresses it, the boss does add a little bit of color to it, not necesssarily bad, but i want my compression transparent

11. thewex

thewex Member

12. epluribus

epluribus Member

13. Cory

Cory Guest

I really like my AYA as well! Great pedal! I haven't seen one sell used for what the budget is though.

14. HBob

HBob Member

I have an old Boss CS-2, a Blackbox Oxygen and a Homebrew Electronics CPR. The CPR has me addicted to the compressor again. It sounds great - doesn't kill the top end, can be subtle or perty dang squishy and is very quiet. They are within you budget and HBE makes great pedals.

15. natejens

natejens Guest

Wow plenty of great options. I thinks I will take a look at the Barber tone press and I might look up some info on the Monte mods. If I only had the $$$ Zygoat. Thanks again.

16. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

17. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Did he test a 2-knob Keeley or a 4-knob Keeley in that shootout? The 4-knob added an input trim to fix the squashy attack problem he mentions.

BTW/FWIW - I have the EXACT same gripe with every stompbox compressor I have tried and the Barber did not work for me any better than anything else (it is a great sounding comp though...one of my favorites..but not because of the Blend feature)...sure I can dial out the squashy attack...but then I'm just dialing out the compressor. No stompbox comp that I've tried still retained any amount of decent compression without that squashy attack. But my Tone Press has developed a noise problem and I can't get it fixed.

I've contacted certain mfrs. of stomp comps and asked if there was a way to 'turn down the input and turn up the output to compensate' so that it wouldn't squash the attack of humbuckers. Seemed simple enough but the answer I got was 'no'. I'm still not convinced...can't they just pad the input a little?