Compressor is holding me back?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by musickbox, May 16, 2008.

1. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Today I was playing with board and just working on different sounds. I have been unhappy with my Brown Rabbit (Rat type) for a bit. Seemed like I lost a lot of bass and too middy. I accidently turned off my compressor and bam! The brown rabbit sounded huge! Almost didn't recognize it. I kept experimenting, and I realize the compressor adds and takes away from my dirt pedals sound. With my Hoof, which is very Muff like, had little to no effect. But with my Tim it gave a slight accent in the mids and made it more focus. With the Tim and Hoof it wasn't a bad thing. Especially with rhythm. Kept things in even (dynamics-wise). Anyways, as far as my Brown Rabbit goes, what can I do to keep my compressor on and still maintain the Brown Rabbit's sound? I know the simple is turn it on and off answer, but I don't like to tap dance. I do enough of that with my delays. Thanks in advance.

Yannick

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

Depending on your amp and your sound, it's a tough call, but I think compressors are unnecessary in many rigs. There's usually enough compression going on between your amp and drive pedals.

Try a rehearsal or gig without it. With a little alteration to your technique maybe you can forego compressors all together...?

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

+1...great in the studio, but give it up on gigs.

4. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Where is your compressor in your signal path? Try placing the compressor after the Brown Rabbit - that way the signal is not going into the BR already compressed and you will keep the dynamic response of the BR. Just a thought.

5. steinwand

steinwand Member

:agree
    exactly what I am doing

6. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yea, the placement might work. I am worried the compression after the dirt might bring out unwanted noise. I'll try it anyways. Thanks.

7. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

Im about to hit up a tone press. Is it good to place it after od pedals or before?

8. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Actually you should have less noise because the noise from the gain pedal is coming after the compressor instead of the compressor accentuating the noise floor from the Brown Rabbit.