Compressor: necessity for shows?

zeffbeff

I'm doing a short tour with my group this year. In the interest of efficiency, I'm taking my Boss three-pedal board: TU-2, DS-1, and DM-2w.

I always play live with my DynaComp and Strat, but this time I'll have humbuckers in my guitar.

Any serious problems when not using a compressor live? It's been a while since I've played live without one.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
That's really gonna depend on your rig, how you use a compressor, and how used you are to having a compressor.

Nota

I am new to compressors, never saw the use or need. Recently I've been using them to smooth out dynamics, learning about the different types.

I'm a very dynamic player, but noticed that in the chaos of live playing my loud/solo passages were heard fine, but everything else was lost. It was too much range. With a compressor (I use my GC-2 more as a limiter) the range between quiet/loud is much less, so everything I play can be heard - while still retaining my dynamic playing and nuance. For me, this is now indispensable. I find myself not turning my amp up/down all the time, my level is set easily and stays that way.

songtalk

I can't really imagine life without my compact tone press. Like seriously. I have no idea what that thing does but it's like having a 1300 dollar rack unit at your feet live.

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think you ever really need a compressor except maybe in the studio. Of the 4 pedals you listed, the comp is definitely the one you'll miss the least.

ogguitar

I'm a very dynamic player, but noticed that in the chaos of live playing my loud/solo passages were heard fine, but everything else was lost. It was too much range. With a compressor (I use my GC-2 more as a limiter) the range between quiet/loud is much less, so everything I play can be heard - while still retaining my dynamic playing and nuance. For me, this is now indispensable. I find myself not turning my amp up/down all the time, my level is set easily and stays that way.

This is gold.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I quite like compression, especially in a band mix. I think that, when playing solo, you want your sound to be big and wide.....you want to fill the room with sound.

In a band, however, much of the sound field is shared with other instruments. You want your guitar to take up its own space, and be able to be forward in the mix. Compression, when used in a tasteful way, helps achieve this. Without it, the nuances of your tone get a bit washed out, imo.

My absolute favorite compressors are made by Origin Effects. I have also had decent experiences with the Bearfoot Pale Green Comp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom