Compressor Pedal for Bass

Pablomago

I was messing with a friend's VS Route 66 and was wondering what stomp boxes are popular for bass. What do you use? What do you like about it. Where in the chain do you put it?

I like the Aphex Punch Factory, and have used one live for 6 or 7 years now. It's an optical compressor, so it's very subtle, which I prefer. I run it at the start of my effects chain (actually, after my wireless receiver and tuner, but before the other stuff, to be precise)

Thor

Yes, Bongomania is maniacal about compressors (a good read).

I alternate between the Demeter and the EBS. Like 'em both.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried lots of different compressors, including many expensive "booteeks", and I always come back to the humble Boss Bass Enhancer/Limiter. Turn the enhancer knob to "0" (it is garbage) and enjoy the great compression.

Something about the Boss compressor just works for me. I'm a huge CS-2 fan as well, for guitar.

JimiB

JHS Lime Aid Bass compressor looks really cool. I love the Pulp and Peel that I got from him. There are some videos of the lime aid on you tube.

drewl

FWIW I used to use a Dyna Comp for recording my old bassist which worked really well.
He finger picked mainly and the volume would vary a bit too much for recording, the Dyna Comp fixed that perfectly and still let the dynamics and nuances shine through.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
don't use them much for bass (i use a sansamp BDDI which has a little already) but i had good luck with the carl martin comp; very hi-fi, and the "busy" light made it easy to set it to only squeeze when and how much you wanted it to.

Lublin

I use the BBE Opto-Stomp and love it. Doesn't color my sound or suck out low end at all.

cybersnyder

JHS Lime Aid Bass compressor looks really cool. I love the Pulp and Peel that I got from him. There are some videos of the lime aid on you tube.
I have a Lime Aid. It cuts too much low end for a bass compressor. Way too much. They had to have tested it playing through a guitar amp. Definitely recommend the EBS MultiComp.

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Does the OP have an FX loop on his amp? If so, he will have access to the really great compressors. One easy one to find is a used DBX 160 "A" or "X".
20:1 ratio and set the threshold to hit the peaks.

And then there is the Valley People Dyna-Mite.......

TAVD

Guitar Player
The compressor side of the RT 66 is great for bass. No need to keep searching.

The DBX 160 is great if you can make it work in your rig. Even better would be the FCS P3500.

Bassomatic

Does the OP have an FX loop on his amp? If so, he will have access to the really great compressors. One easy one to find is a used DBX 160 "A" or "X".
20:1 ratio and set the threshold to hit the peaks.

And then there is the Valley People Dyna-Mite.......
Of course, Terry. But dang are you showing your age.

(Me too, I s'pose, as I remember the Valley People line well).

Why not just specify a Fairchild?:YinYang