Compressor Pedal Help!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ray1960, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Ray1960

Ray1960 Member

I have narrowed down my choice for a compressor pedal to the Keely and the T-Rex Comp Nova. Anybody have any experience playing either of these and could give a suggestion. I went to Harmony Central and they both were rated very highly and they both are about the same price range

2. mild

mild Member

I have the Keeley, and I enjoy it immensely. I run it first, and leave it on relatively light settings, and I find it rounds out my sound wonderfully. Makes the sound guys happy too, as the levels are less prone to fluctuation, but the dynamics remain.

Another option you might like to look at is the AYA R-Comp.
    If my Keeley was stolen, that's what i'd replace it with, honestly speaking.

All the best...

3. bob01480

bob01480 Member

I would probably go with the Keeley out of those two. The TRex is probably nice but if you ever decide to trade/sell it to get something else which has been known to happen you would be better off with the Keeley.

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'd probably go with the Keely as well, between those two.

CMATMODS has some really interesting mods they do on compressors, and the clips sound amazing. You could mod a Boss, or an MXR.

Worth checking out - less $$ than either of the above choices.

Dana
    caveat - I use a BJF Pine Green Compressor - it costs way more than the above, and sounds like 10 million bucks. (GRIN)

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

costs wayyy more?...its like $15 more than the keeley LOL...Im looking into a comp. myself and have narrowed it down to analogman Bi-Comp, keeley com. and the BJF...Wouldnt mind waiting for the Bi-Comp.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

my mistake, its $15 more than the 5th anniversary keeley comps available in sea foam green and burgundy mist...thats it, otherwise yes, its quite a bit more than the above...

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I think Dana meant quite a bit more than the modded comps.

Markom, you may want to check out the Diamond Compressor if you're interested in the BJF, it's much cheaper and does the same thing (in no way implying that the two are equal, btw). I've given friends -skeptical heathens who think I'm nuts for buying all my pedals - GAS just from having them plug into my Diamond and play with it a bit.

8. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

The Keeley and CompNova are very different comps. The Keeley is more of a squishy Nashville affair, a high-end Ross/MXR type, while the TRex is VERY transparent. Which to choose depends completely on your application.

A

9. abuloso

abuloso Member