Compressor Pedal- MXR M102 Dyna Comp or Boss CS3 Compressor Sustainer Pedal?

archtopjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Looking for a inexpensive comp. pedal to use with my acoustic which I run direct into the PA. Very low volume gig. Pedal needs to be a Boss size pedal. Has anyone compared these 2?

TIA

Cirrus

I've had them both but at different times, years apart so no direct comparison. The dyna comp is more "squishy" and coloured, the cs-3 is more transparent, but has a clicky harshness that can be hard to dial out.

ttasselm

Both are more than capable for a low-volume kind of deal, but I personally like the Dyna Comp better - it edges the CS3 out only because I have the ability to rotate the dials with my feet for on-the-fly adjustments (yes, that's what put it over the top for me...haha). I really like mine as both a light compressor and, sometimes, as a boost. I usually have the level high and the squish low, and it's enough to smooth things out just fine.

I've played it at low volumes, high volumes, in the studio, and everywhere else in between and I really think it's a great bang for the buck.

idk

I've had them both but at different times, years apart so no direct comparison. The dyna comp is more "squishy" and coloured, the cs-3 is more transparent, but has a clicky harshness that can be hard to dial out.
agree. if you have too much highs and its getting piercing, a dyna comp would probably be able to take the edge off of it, thats what i find i use squishy comps for.

JRBain

An old friend of mine had (and probably still has) one. He loved the thing, though he was unashamedly unconcerned with the intricacies of pedals.

However, being in the congregation when he played in the church band was enough to tell how much hiss the thing was producing. Not a quiet pedal, but it sounded like a compressor to me...

archtopjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
An old friend of mine had (and probably still has) one. He loved the thing, though he was unashamedly unconcerned with the intricacies of pedals.

However, being in the congregation when he played in the church band was enough to tell how much hiss the thing was producing. Not a quiet pedal, but it sounded like a compressor to me...
Which one did he have?

Thanks,

Jim

Tbone135

I've had them both, and I'd suggest the Dynacomp. The CS-3 is ok, but the DC is easier to set and forget it.

100JH

I agree with the above comparison (squash vs. transparency), you should consider a CS-2 instead of a CS-3 if you decide to go with a Boss. I think the CS-2 is a nicer comp than the CS-3.

Cirrus

I agree with the above comparison (squash vs. transparency), you should consider a CS-2 instead of a CS-3 if you decide to go with a Boss. I think the CS-2 is a nicer comp than the CS-3.
Agree with you here! The CS-2 has "mojo" in a good way - warmer sounding but more transparent than the dynacomp.

DavidLM

I prefer a CS-3 for acoustic and electric.

Dynacomp's make everything sound mid-heavy, something I really wouldn't want with an acoustic.

Trending Topics