Compressor Pedal

8len8

Supporting Member
Depends on the type of music you play.

Buy a pedal that the music needs, not just because you don’t already own that type of pedal.

BlueLou

Supporting Member
Not a lot, well, ehrm, depending on a few things. Some people say it's more of a feel thing under the fingers. Unless you are talking heavy squish.

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
It will bring more balance to your sound, and at low volumes make it feel like your cranking the amp, but I would suggest getting something with a blend knob so you don't lose all your dynamic

Rick CD

Depends on the type of music you play.

Buy a pedal that the music needs, not just because you don’t already own that type of pedal.
Whoa, hold on there. This goes against everything I’ve learned on this forum. No, no, can’t be true.

slowerhand

Supporting Member
If only there were youtube clips where guitar players demo them, and you can hear the difference between on and off. ;)

abracadabra

depending on the model you buy you may be able to:

even out picking dynamics
use as a squishy effect in itself
add nice colour to tone
make dry sound punchier by blending in a compressed signal
increase sustain without using OD/distortion
increase sustain combined with OD/distortion
boost signal to drive pedals/amp, or any other use of a boost
post regularly on forums asking which compressor is better than the one you have now..

Pedalometrist

Great video showing the various uses of compression.

For me, it’s an indispensable tool. I leave it on 100% of the time and it significantly contributes to my core tone. I dig making my guitar sound massive without using fuzz or distortion, and compressors are amazing for this purpose. Andy Summers is the king of this approach :aok I run single coiled strats into Fender amps, and I find your choice of guitar/amp severely changes the way a compressor is going to interact with your set up.

Trending Topics