1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Compressor Pedals: way too many to choose from...please help me pick one

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by echo unit, Jan 4, 2006.

Best Compressor Pedal for Recording and versatility

1. Pedalworx McSqueeze

2. Analog Man Bi-comprossor

3. Keeley Compressor

4. Barber Tone Press

5. Carl Martin Compressor

6. Diamond Compressor

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I am trying my very best to narrow it down to one compressor pedal that will satisfy all my needs and wants. I love Frisell, Lanois, Twangy Spaghetti Western guitar, Michael Brook.

I play with my fingers only.

I am going to use the pedal for recording my strat in front of a Vox AC15 with a very nice Royer R-122 ribbon mic on the Vox going into a Neve 1066 preamp. I need a pedal that is high quality and low noise enough for recording but also one that makes the tone of the guitar larger and does not thin the guitar out.

Here are the currently made contenders that many folks have deemed as the best and I would love if people would just rate these and help me decide. In your expereince which one pleased you the most and which ones are redundant if owning one of the others?

Pedalworx McSqueeze
    Analog Man Bi-Comprossor
    Keeley Compressor
    Barber Tone Press
    Carl Martin Compressor
    Diamond Compressor

2. mcormier

mcormier Guest

i have a carl martin compressor for sale if you have any interest

3. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Extemely happy with my Analogman BiComp. I don't use comps as a subtle effect though. I like them squishy and sustainy. These can do subtle and extreme.

4. trucks

trucks Member

I am extremely pleased with my Keeley 4 knob comp. Amazingly quiet! This version has knobs for sensitivity and attack which is great for recording purposes, but the newer 2 knob version also has these adjustments internal. Check out the review and clips at http://www.steelbender.com/spotlightkeeleycomp.html

5. DK207

DK207 Member

Wouldn't trade my Analog Man Comprossor for anything..... except a Bicomp!

:BEER

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really like the AnalogMan CompROSSor Ross Clone, which is one half of the Bi-Comp. I'm thinking of adding a Tone Factor Squeeze Factor as well, I like the Blend knob idea.

I'm a fingers only player. The really cool thing about my 3 knob Ross Clone (analog man) is the attack delay control.... you can set it to start the compression effect immediately or set it all the way up, so your playing dynamics come through until the attack is passed, then the actual note is compressed. This is great for blues and knopfler-isms, especially with fingers playing.

It's a fantastic sounding compressor, worth every bit of the $215. I feel that with the Squeeze Factor added, I should have all of the benefits of the Bi-Comp, with the added ability to blend the OS sound in and put them in different places in my signal chain(s).

7. webb

webb Member

I really like my Keeley comp. I run it very low, great for cleans and lead. Check out the AM orange squeezer, the clips on AM's site are great.
    Have fun.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Ever thought of a JangleBox?

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

retrospec Squeeze Box is one of the best compressors ever put in a stomp box. Good luck finding one, though.

10. threm

threm Member

I have a few comps

Analogman Comprossor
    Analogman Juicer
    PedalworX McSqueeze
    Toadworks Mr.Squishy
    Carl Martin
    TC Sust+
    HBE CPR
    Gollmer comp
    Gyatone ST-2
    Diamond

And ........ drum rolls ......... ¤%¤3339"# (drum machine bugs)

1st Prize for a compressor that is
    "high quality and low noise enough for recording but also one that makes the tone of the guitar larger and does not thin the guitar out" goes to .....

the Diamond

11. threm

threm Member

Here`s the rack version. The maker who`s on the Gearslutz forum was a close friend of engineer/producer Steve Gursky aka Loudist who passed away a couple of months ago much too young.

Check the Wah pedal they had transformed into a power amp. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

13. Ian

Ian Member

Hey guys!

For those of you who have tried the new 4-knob Keeley Compressor, what did you think?

Is the pedal still the same size physically?

I have an original Keely comp, but I dig the idea of having the additional sensitivity and attack controls! :AOK

I was also lookng at the EMMA Transmorgrifier, since it has all 4 of these controls too....but I foiund the EMMA to be a lot noisier than the Keeley.
    Any info would help! Thanks eh! :dude

14. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I would never have a compressor without a blend function...that leaves the Barber Tone Press and Tone Factor Squeeze Factor both of which I have owned. I have also owned others and played all the boutiques if not owned them. The one left standing is the Squeeze Factor.

15. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas Member

my choise of sound is: T-Rex CompNova

16. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm not surprised! LOVE my Diamond. :dude

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Ditto.

There are lots of great comps out today but t he PGC is the best sounding and least intrusive and works really well with acoustics a nd fingerpicking.......

THe Bicomp would be more versatile of course - 2 pedals in one ....

18. echo unit

echo unit Member

It's weird how Keeley seems to have gotten lost in the race. I was under the impression that the Keeley compressor was an improvement over the AnalogMan comprossor. I thought that the AnalogMan and the Keeley would be tied for sure but I guess people do not like the Keeley as much.

19. justicetones

justicetones Member

I think the Barber is great but for the same size the Analogman Bi-comp gives you two very different compressors. No more knob fiddling for most.

I own the Bi-comp and love it.

:BluesBros

20. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

They need to do something about the high end loss in the Keeley comp. I'm getting a diamond just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I would also like to try the PGC by BJF but that one is priced a lot higher.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net