Compressor Recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dodelson, Sep 14, 2006.

1. dodelson

dodelson Member

I need a compressor for one thing and one thing only- to leave on all the time without changing settings between my strat and deluxe reverb. I just want to put a sheen on the whole sound and balance out the volumes of the different strings in the process. I play jazz, blues, old rock, and Wilco-ish stuff. Is there any compressor that will just do this one thing?

2. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

3. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

My favorite is the Barber Tone Press followed by the Analogman Bi Comp

HJ

4. thintele

thintele Member

I've been using a Boss CS-2 for years, I actually bought it new...yeah I know ,not very boutique but I haven't found one I like as well and they can had for a relatively small amount of cash. I'm doing an Americana , meets Jam meets classic rock kinda thing
    ....but I am intrigued by the Jangle box.
    They've got a whole page of sound samples ...you might check this one out. I think I will ...
    http://janglebox.com/janglebox_sounds.htm

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

BJF PGC...I cant wait to get mine. Sounds like one of the best out there... then theres the Analogman bi-comp which looks just as good...the keeley.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Janglebox is fantastic and will do the job!

7. eric-d

eric-d Member

PGC - no contest.

8. dodelson

dodelson Member

So basically, it seems like anything decent will do the job. I think I'm going to go for the Tone Press.

9. Deaj

Deaj Member

The Barber Tone Press is a great choice. It can definitely give you what you describe with minimal impact to your tone otherwise. The Blend control is the whole reason for choosing the Tone Press. You can dial in the level of compression desired and then blend the uncompressed signal with the affected signal. Very cool compressor. This is a good choice is you're looking for transparency.

The AnalogMan Bi-Comp (and Mini Bi-Comp) are very different from the Tone Press and equally as cool. The Bi-Comp has two classic compressor circuits on board - the Ross compressor (CompROSSor - very similar to the MXR Dyna Comp) and the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer (Juicer - maybe the coolest sounding compressor effect on the planet). Both of these circuits have their own sonic signature, both are very warm, both will add sheen to your tone, each offers very different attack characteristics. This pedal can't be beat for versatility and character.

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I just ordered the BJF PGC. I previously owned the Analogman Bi-Comp Large box 4 knob and it was not for me.

11. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I have a very old MXR Script Dyna that I ran forever (20 years). Never turned it off. I have two vintage tone project comps in series and Carl Martin. Total about six different comps. There was PGC at the Houston Pedal fest and believe me it is the Bee's Knees! I want one very badly. I'd have one if I hadn't purchased two others. I'm gonna get a PGC!

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Since everyone is loving the PGC...anyone have audio or video clips?

13. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

14. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

15. drolling

drolling Member

Dang... every time I read about that BJF Pine Green the cravings kick in..

...dang..

But I'm surprised no one's mentioned the one that some folks say is the closest sounding; Diamond Comp.

This is one pedal that surely meets your "always on" requirement. It's an opto-comp and more like a piece of studio rack gear w/none of that 'pumping' & 'squashing' normally associated w/compressor pedals.

Simple to operate as well; Just a comp, a volume and a very effective tone knob.

Works great as a clean boost, too.

I leave mine on 24/7..

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Chad Matthews from CMATMODS has started to sell his new Comp sounds like a good one, he's only selling it over ebay for now.

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the Diamond Comp. I prefer it with the original 50K comp pot, but even with the newer 100K pot, it's an always on, breathtaking compressor. When showing it to a buddy who has only used a Boss CS-3 and didn't much care for pedals, well, let's just say he realized that spending 175 on a compressor was NOT a silly purchase

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

19. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

[​IMG]

Here's my recommendation!

20. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

+1 Anaolgman 4-knob Bi-Comp. Compressor heaven. It sounds like a compressor should - like a compressor.