Compressor search narrowed: Farndurk Burgs or Wampler Ego compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mkg, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mkg

mkg Member

Really can't make up my mind between these two.
    The demos for both sound very good.
    I like a bit of squish at times and some good funk.
    I like low noise floor.
    Farndurk: OS-type, simple layout, sounds great, $155
    Wampler: Ross-type, five knobs, sounds great, $199

I'll be using LP, Tele and Strat through a Goodsell Super 17 Mk2.
    Can't afford both, and am almost at the point of flipping a coin.
    Talk me into one or the other!

2. mkg

mkg Member

3. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

I wish someone had replied to this.

4. mkg

mkg Member

Me too...I'm still undecided, although leaning toward the Wampler. It may be more versatile.
    But man, the Farndurk video sounds fantastic...

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I haven't played the Farndurk (never heard of it before in fact!). But the Wampler is outstanding. A friend has one and I tried it out a bit. For compressors right now I have a Keeley and an original '70s DynaComp but, the Wampler is good enough that it has got me thinking that maybe I need another compressor pedal.

One thing I liked about it is how easy it is to dial in a sound that had the right amount of clarity and "squish".

6. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I want a Wampler Ego comp badly. Brad Paisley uses one, I am not a country guy but Brad knows tone. Sign up for the Wampler newsletter and you get a discount. Just an FYI.

7. mkg

mkg Member

Thanks for the replies. AFAIK the Wampler newsletter discount is no longer available.
    Here's the Farndurk vid:

http://www.youtube.com/v/C2dOLvH6Op4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2dOLvH6Op4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

8. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

I haven't tried the farndurk, but I know the orange squeezer circuitry very well... IMO, both his and my compressors would be quite different... you probably would need to try both side by side to see which 'style' you like better, but they compress quite differently.

bw

9. mkg

mkg Member

Brian, thanks very much for the reply...I wish I could try them side by side, but since I can't, I have to rely on info I can gather here and elsewhere.
    Pretty sure I'd be happy with either one. As I mentioned earlier, I'm leaning toward the Ego for its versatility and low noise. I like the idea of having external controls for blend, attack, and tone.
    I do realize that the Farndurk is an OS type while yours is more of a Ross type.

10. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

I haven't tried the Wampler, but it looks like a very verstile pedal. If you are looking for those kinds of controls, then I would say go with his!

I designed the Burgs around simplicity. Many folks get frustrated dealing with all of the different controls that various compressors have. As a designer, there is so much that you can choose from to make available to the user as a control that it's tempting to put a lot of controls on them, and it can be hard to decide exactly which variables would be best for the customer. Brian Wampler seems to have done a fine job of that with his very fine Ego comp.

Brian (Cale). :)

11. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

Is an OS type vs a Ross type preferable for one genre over another?

I play more Black Crowes and classic rock and zero modern country chicken choking stuff. Just curious.

12. codyj84

codyj84 Member

13. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

Personally, I don't think one is better over the other for a given music type. Let your ears tell you what is right. I know that sounds like the most cliche thing you could ever hear, but it's the best advice I can give. I've found most folks put the comp in front of their dirt for rock. That's about all I got. :)

14. mkg

mkg Member

Couldn't have asked for two nicer, more knowledgeable builders named Brian to post in this thread.
    Thanks, guys...now you see why it's hard to choose one over the other.
    Maybe I'll hit the lottery and get one of each.
    :)

15. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

thank you brian for the nice words. :)

16. mkg

mkg Member

The demos for both are excellent, thus my problem choosing.
    Just to be fair, here's the Wampler vid:

http://www.youtube.com/v/qa50qw9j5bc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qa50qw9j5bc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

17. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

you could get both types in one pedal :)

18. mkg

mkg Member

Ah, the Mini Bi-Comp...definitely worth serious consideration.
    I hadn't really thought about two-in-one...until now.
    I guess this is what they mean by an embarrassment of riches!
    Thanks for the input, Mike.

19. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

OP ..... Let me see if I can ease your dilema a bit.

1st off. The more a device "does" the less it does well. Never forget that.

2nd. I don't know what Mr. Wampler's lead times are, but mine are kinda stoopid right now (3 to 5 weeks). I've been having delivery-time issues lately (geez .. since like November!) due to a lot of life changes (moved, new house has been damaged by unusually severe weather 3x in 6 weeks, our new Farndurk shop has flooded twice due to improper "gradient" on our lot, hot water heater literally exploded 3 days after Chrsitmas ... just a lot of stoopid nonsense .. not a big deal, just "our turn" for silliness to get in the way). So there is a good chance BW can get one out to you faster. We're a tiny two person company, and I'm sure as I can be that BW can get you your comp faster than I will.

3rd. If I had to lose a sale to anyone I can't think of anyone I'd rather it be than Brian Wampler. He and I share a certain demographic in our clientel and I run across his gear a lot. If I lose this sale to him, it's no loss. Simply because he builds no ****. Period. We've never met, but I find it very easy to respect him and give him due space. He's never once berated me or my odd friggin' designs (that I'm aware of), that alone is worth kudos.

Lastly: The Burgs is a great comp, but BW's Ego is as well. From what I can gather from this thread, my guess is that Brian Wampler's Ego would suit you best. It may sound odd that I am recommending a competitor's compressor, but y'know what? Right is just simply right. Honestly speaking, I think that in the back of your mind you would regret not having gotten the comp with more controls and more adjustability .. I think you would always wonder if buying the Ego (with it's deeper control set) wouldn't have done you a better job than the 2 knobs that the Burgs offers. And the thing I hate the most is knowing that one of my customers regrets buying my pedal. :)

Hope this helped. :)

20. sabby

sabby Member

Having has a Bi-Comp for a while I decided the OS type was for me. But to make the comparison fair, you should try an OS with a clean blend. See the PedalworX Squeeze Factor and JHS pedals Peel 'n' Pump. They can be cranked like any OS type. But I like the comp signal from my Squeeze Factor barely in the background, swelling and fattening my single-coils. It's one of my two "keeper" pedals, along with a High Gain NKT SunFace. They actually work great together, too.