Compressor suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kwaping, May 6, 2011.

1. Riffa

Riffa Member

Rothwell Love Squeeze. It's great, I run mine at 15V and it's real smooth.

2. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Happy with the tiny Xotic SP.

3. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

It's on my board. Out of all the one's I've tried, it probably the best, all-around. I did like the Tone Press quite a bit too.

candid_x likes this.
  4. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Wow....old thread resurrected from the dead yesterday.

The one bit of advice I would give to ANYONE looking at compressors is to get one with a "blend" knob. I've been through at least 8 compressors over the years and have found this feature essential.
    My favorite, and on my board for about 6-7 years now is the Empress Compressor. Expensive but really adds a sparkle to my tone, no noise and lots of control and pretty lights. I have found a setting I really like on it and really never touch it any more (it's always on).
    Hands down the best low cost compressor I ever used was the Guyatone ST-2. It beat out everything until I found the Empress. My brother plays in a church band and I talked him into a Guyatone ST-2 and he loves it as well.

5. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

seconding the blend knob. my pigtronix philosopher king has a blend function (the knob is named compression strangely enough, while the actual compressor dial is named sustain). makes a huge difference, and really helps for laying down clean rhythm tracks.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

i wonder what comp @kwaping chose back in 2011. :dunno

tdump and kwaping like this.
  7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

It is an oldie at that.

I've read it said that a blend knob just decompresses but I do not agree with that. It allows compression without getting lost in the sauce by introducing the dry signal with it. It does make a difference for sure.

Re the Xotic SP, it too adds a bit of sparkle, which remains when turning down guitar volume, without sounding stiff like a treble bleed. I've pretty much found my sweet spot on the low setting with a fair amount of dry signal blended. It's not always on however.

8. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer

Thanks for asking! :p I have a Wampler Ego Comp right now, but it's not on my board. I can't believe how much my gear has changed since then, basically unrecognizable.

tdump and Whiskey N Beans like this.