Compressor Types 101

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tjs, Dec 23, 2009.

1. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I've got plenty of experience using compressors in a studio environment (both hardware and software), but my knowledge of pedal compressors is fairly limited. I know of at least two main camps (DynaComp/Ross and Orange Squeezer) that many current pedals can be categorized under. Are there any others, and what are the characteristic traits of each group?

2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

CMATMODS Deluxe "Ross" Compressor hand built clone. All you need to buy, it dont get any better.....

3. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Not what I was asking but thanks for the response anyway.

4. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

Optical comps are another type. Such as Demeter Compulator, Celmo Sardine Can, Diamond Compressor, etc.

There are also some comps that are really designed to be quite subtle and will not be able to do the squash type thing like the Menatone JAC.

The Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter is pretty versatile. Can do subtle or squash due to more control, more like a rack mount comp.

5. kilsoo

kilsoo Member

tjs if youre already familiar with joemeek then look at this one..

http://www.joemeek.com/pedals.html

floorQ is a direct translation of the compressor section of their rackmount product into pedal form (including the class A preamp).

6. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Much of what you want to know about pedal compressors is here: http://ovnilab.com/

The person who created these pages posts here and at TalkBass under the username bongomania.