Compressor vs Equalizor pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paco Luna, May 20, 2015.

1. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

Hello guys, first of all, i want to thanks all of you who had help me out before J

I have a les paul type guitar, Laney ir 30 watt tube amp combo, Duncan designed hb 102 pickups, I play with neck pickup because the bridge is not working, play with lots of distortion, searching for a smooth warm solo like shawn lane or allan holdsworth, so treble is at 0 bass 0 and mid at 3, but sounds muddy and with no clarity add the low strings, if i raise the treble and mids it stops sounding smooth and liquid.

But I hear guys like steve vai, joe satriani, with mids and highs and they`re tone is smooth, so it got me thinking that maybe is because I need a distortion or overdrive pedal instead of using the amp gain, for smoothing things up, and I heard dist pedals have all ready lots mids and compression on it.

And on the other hand, maybe I could get a compressor pedal, so I can raise the treble and mids and use the compressor for lowering the higs frequencys, and make my tone more soft? And smooth.

Or buying an Equalizor, for take off some highs, or if I leave my amp settings as I mention, to cut some low end, some bass to add clarity to those strings.

The pro blem is with the low strings, they always sound too big, to bassssss, even with clean sound.

Hope you can help me J

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Pickups adjustments, and it's free.

3. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

Thanks for replying, i all ready try that,but the sound is even worst, i all ready lowered the pickup height and raise the pole pieces, but te sound became weak, a little bit of treble but weak, and is not strong enough to give clarity, so the mudd again.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Sounds like you need to get your amp/tubes fixed and get some different pickups/fixed probably. Maybe even a speaker change.

Tube amp should give you a natural smooth compression to begin with. That amp certainly has enough tone controls on its own.

Sorry but your looking in the wrong places for a fix. I'd start with getting amps bias checked.

5. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Fix bridge pickup.