compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by amisilver, Jan 28, 2008.

1. amisilver

amisilver Member

I am looking for a compressor. What do you guys think about the eh nano soul preacher? What do you suggest?

2. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Barber Tone Press is very popular here. Right now I'm really loving my Maxon CP101- very transparent, minimal noise, doesn't mess w/ my pick attack, not a ton of squash but more than enough for my needs. What kind of music do you play? Haven't heard anything about the SP yet...

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just got the Maxon CP9 Pro+ compressor, which uses the dbx compression circuit, and it's the best compressor pedal I've tried or heard. Very much like a studio compressor. It has Threshold & Ratio controls, which most other pedals don't. Highly recommended.

4. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    awesome! another maxon cp101 fan - i'm baffled as to why more TGP'ers don't know, try or use this compressor. i love mine and have used it for a few years now.

i tried a tone press and thought it sounded great. BUT, i thought it dulled the pick attack too much (even with the original signal blended all the way in) compared to the cp101.

my vote is for the cp101. it's a great, great compressor.

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Nice- a friend recommended the Maxon to me, and it's exactly what I wanted in a comp. I forget that it's on until I turn it off, doesn't sound like an "effect" as many comps do- just a natural extension of my tone :BEER

6. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

If you guys liked the CP101, you guys should definitely check out the CP9 Pro+ when you have a chance (and the funds :p). It's like the CP101 taken up another notch in terms of flexibility and natural feel. If you ever see one on ebay for a good price, definitely check it out. I'm keeping mine, sorry.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

+1! I just got near new one off eBay for $140 and my buddy got one at NAMM from Godlyke (distr) for $150!

Being able to set the Threshold & Ratio is indispensable, especially if you know how to use studio based compressors. Plus, it's an incredible clean boost.

8. Balok

Balok Member

I had the Nano Soul Preacher and liked it, but took it back. It just did not have the mojo of the trusty old Boss CS-3, which just had a smoother and at the same time, puchier sound.