1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

COMPRESSORS..ANYone??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TMoran, Jan 19, 2006.

1. TMoran

TMoran Member

HOLA again..

Just wondering if anyone has gone compressor-shoppin' lately.. and if you have come across any that you liked. I'm lookin' for some REALLy clean
    sustain, the "Nashville" tone... but minus that ANNOYing "pop" that the Boss blue comp has(that thing SUX!!) Curious about the Electro-Harmonix;Barber Tone-press; Demeter or Kelsey.. or any others that
    any of you might have run across. I DID try the Guyatone "mini" green
    comp.. I thought that was pretty damn good for $69. Curious about the effect a tube in the pedal might have.( E.G., EH, Maxon.)

Thanks for any input you may have.

TMoran :D

2. LittleC

LittleC Member

I suppose it depends upon the application. I'm still using my '70s MXR dyna comp. I was using a Rat,2 but that's more distortion / overdrive compression. I gotta tell ya, I just love the Alf Hermida ZenDrive. It gets me everything from a compression without effecting the original volume and tone, through an amazing gamut of overdrive / distortion tones.

Edited to add: BTW, a tube in a stomp-box just doesn't seem to add up to me. Never seems to be enough to push the tube...

3. shoe

shoe Member

Not sure about the "Nashville" thing, but my Carl Martin Compressor certainly made the Trey Anastasio thing happen with my PRS Archtop II. It totally gives the sustain in a clean sound that normally wouldn't be possible without overdrive.

4. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I used a Diamond Compressor great transparent compressor.
    I am should/might be getting one from CMATMODS which is based on the MXR Dyna Comp.
    there is a sound sample here:
    CMATMODS Dyna Comp Clone

6. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Supporting Member

Before I started using the Keeley (pricey, transparent and kind of the Nashville "industry standard") I had a lot of luck with the Marshall ED-1, whcih for the money lets you set 4 different parameters. I'm mostly a Tele w/Barden p/ups guy, so those have worked fine for me. YMMV, however.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've used an MXR script logo Dynacomp forever.

Last year I got a Maxon - it's really nice also, very transparent but gives a wonderful leveling effect on everything. I have it on all the time on my clean setting.

Loudboy

8. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

I love the Keeley the best after using all kinds of compressors through the years. Go to the "Member Soundclips" thread and check my message if you'd like to hear some clips of the Keeley Comp..

JC

9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Diamond, it's the most transparent compressor I've tried, but I've not tryed the Keeley

10. hollowbody

hollowbody Member

Try a Demeter compulator!!!
    Great with a tele.

11. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Keeley recently and MXR Dyna since........

12. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

"loudboy" & i both live in rochester, ny were mxr was located and i've also used a dyna comp forever. i've also used an old dan armstrong orange squeezer for many years. the squeezer sure isn't transparent, but i like the way sounds & feels. i also just tried the carl martin compressor & i'm liking it a lot. way more transparent than the dyna comp or the orange squeezer.

13. I was kind of surprised not to see an Analogman compressor in here.
    tony

14. DK207

DK207 Member

Then I must now give my plug for the Comprossor. I will only replace it when my name comes up on the BiComp list! Well worth the $, mine rarely gets turned off.:AOK

15. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the Menatone J.A.C.?

16. Phil M

Phil M Member

I don't use compressors all the time, but I don't see how one could be better than my Keeley unless you're after the Orange Squeezer vibe which is a little different.

Maybe try the Analogman Bi-Comp which is the Ross style and Squeezer style in one box. But those are only for sick freaks who like to squish the hell out of everything...

17. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I sold my Keeley (pre attack control model) because it killed the attack too much imho, it may be better now I dunno. I replaced the Keeley with the Analogman Comprossor with attack knob which I like MUCH better, never looked back. Recently upgraded to a mini Bicomp...really good pedal imho...:AOK

18. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Another vote for the Maxon. It's quiet, and very transparent. It's enough for me, however it won't get as squished as a Dyna Comp. So if you're looking for an extremely compresssed sound it my not be enough for you.

19. covert

covert Member

As far as modern, easily available and not too expensive, the Aphex Punch Factory, and the Barber Tone Press are pretty cool.

20. johnny q

johnny q Member

I just added an MXR Super Comp to my signal chain, I am running it before my OD Pedal, and it will stay there forever!! Just a pinch of compression makes a world of difference, I can lower the gain on my amp, and still get a nice crunchy sound. I like the MXR, but its noisy as hell, but thats what my noise gate is for......

JQ