Compressors, etc.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elationalways, Feb 11, 2012.

1. elationalways

elationalways Member

Here's my deal. I'm looking to overhaul the whole front end of my pedal setup. I've already sold a Blues Driver, a Tube Screamer, and a MXR Dyna Comp.

I think I've got my mind set on replacing the TS9 with the Cusack Screamer (very excited) and I don't think I'll need any more drive on tap after that. However, I will need a clean boost. I figured on picking up a Cusack More Louder after comparing a few others. I like that it gives you the option to switch from true bypass to buffered bypass. Pretty cool. Anyway, I also need a new compressor. I've been thinking about getting a diamond compressor for a while now.

My dilemma lies here. I stumbled onto the Strymon site and remembered that they have an optical compressor with a built in clean boost.

I guess I'm asking you all what you think I should do. Diamond Compressor and a Cusack More Louder or a Strymon OB.1?

I play a Tele with humbuckers into a Silverface Twin.

2. 10strings

10strings Member

As an El Cap and BSR owner, which I love, I love the Diamond comp more and would go with them.

3. elationalways

elationalways Member

4. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

5. madmanmike777

madmanmike777 Member

man, if you want a REAL optical comp, the 80s DOD gray box ones were/ARE killer!! i use one know and have been for MANY years, its a two knob comp, in the old school military grade enclosure....a true vintage OPTICAL comp...i would trade for the right pedal..?

6. elationalways

elationalways Member

That sounds awesome. Wish I had something to trade. I recently traded all of my pedals I didn't use/want. I'm more so where I want to be in my setup now but I'm at the end of my rope in a lot of ways.

7. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

You might want to check out the Celmo Sardine Can Compressor. Optical comp with a separate foot switchable boost section. I'm a compressor junkie and it is my favorite compressor, not to mention the boost is cool, as well.

8. jordiesaenz

jordiesaenz Member

I would go for an EP Booster instead of a More Louder.

9. elationalways

elationalways Member

I was considering that. I'm not looking for a crazy amount of compression. I just feel like it would push my signal a little harder and fatten up the tone a bit. I like the sound of compression but my main concern is my signal seeming like its missing some punch.

My thought with the EP booster was that I would pretty much just keep it on all the time to push the signal as well as color the tone a bit to make it more vibrant and interesting.

Any thoughts?

To be clear. I'm playing a tele deluxe (reissue - humbuckers) into a silverface fender twin. I have 3 boss pedals in my chain (bd-2, dd-5, rv-5). The rest are true bypass. I'm using a BBE supa-charger to power everything except for my TF which I'm using the eventide power supply for.