Compressors For People Who Hate Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RYAN1987M, May 10, 2016.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

I've heard of a few compressors that are marketed as 'a compressor for people who hate compressors'.

I'm in the market to try a compressor - but I'd like a subtle one. I'd be after something to use primarily as a 'tone sweetener' and perhaps one that can also even out my volume a bit. For me, simple is better.

In line with this, and based on my research, I'm targeting one of the following -

Fairfield Circuitry Accountant
    BearFoot Fx Pale Green
    Diamond Compressor Jr

I'd really like to hear recommendations from people who have tried multiple compressors in this category. In particular, I'm really curious about the Accountant - but there isn't much information about it (and even fewer comparisons between it and other compressors).

Thanks!

2. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

There's a thread like this already I think. Regardless out of the ones you dig, Diamond might be your best bet. Second I'd say Bearfoot FX. Never tried Farifield.

If I had to throw one into the mix you should take a look at based on your description, take a look at the Keeley GC-2. It's amazing.

Might want to check this site if you haven't already to read some more:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

The one that seemed like it didn't even do anything at all was the Carl Martin. That could be good or bad depending on what you want out of a compressor, haha. The squishiest was the MXR Dyna Comp. The best tone enhancers for me were the Diamond and the Janglebox. The blandest was the Boss. I had a Cmat Mods Signa Comp that was actually very nice, you may like that.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  4. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Member

I know it's not on your list, but I love my Xotic SP. And I also am not a fan of compressors as an "effect".

Elantric, dansworld, Artb and 6 others like this.
  5. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Cali 76 TX, kinda pricey but it sounds spectacular.

6. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Don't hate compressors, learn how to use one and when to use one.

Country players use a compressor to give sustain when playing clean or slightly dirty.

Metal players almost never use a compressor because their high gain is already compressed.

Get a Origin Effects Cali76 CD. They only make compressors.

[​IMG]

7. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I only use a compressor on a few songs because I generally prefer to have greater picking dynamic response at hand.

So, I like compressors with a blend control to preserve pick attack.

Barber Tone Press
    Wampler Ego
    Xotic SP
    Etc.

-bEn r.

8. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

The Diamond and the Bearfoot PGC (V1) are both great, and will do what you're describing for a nice price. Slight edge to the Diamond.

RYAN1987M and awallace like this.
  9. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Nothing is more TGP than suggesting someone buy the most expensive version of a pedal they come in saying they don't really like but want to try.

10. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Xotic SP

dansworld and RYAN1987M like this.
  11. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

I'd look at compressors with a blend knob - that is the key imo, if you haven't liked compression in the past.

paulg, scolfax, Artb and 1 other person like this.
  12. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i have a bogner harlow on the way. does anyone here have one of those?

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

On the Cali76 CD the Blend control is called Dry.

Here is a good demo of the pedal.

Elantric, RYAN1987M and Imperial_Tone like this.
  14. richpjr

richpjr Member

I'm not a huge compressor guy myself either, but settled on the Xotic SP for the few songs I use it for. I use it pretty subtly and love the small footprint on my board.

dansworld, frdagaa and RYAN1987M like this.
  15. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I can't stand the way compressors feel so I've steered clear of them generally. That being said, the Bearfoot PGC, especially V1 (but i had a V3) was a fantastic tone sweetener and just a little bit of a dynamic-evener. I only ditched my V3 when I got the Suhr Bella because it squashed the feel too much even with the comp all the way down. A PCG V1 is it man.

la noise and RYAN1987M like this.
  16. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

The Pale Green is an excellent choice if you are just deciding to get into compression. Loved it when I had it. The SP is a great option as well, especially for its size and overall sound quality (for a Ross style comp). The Cali hands down ended my search for a compressor, does everything I want and more. Loved it enough to by a TX-L and a G-P; Compared to the Compact and Compact Deluxe, the transformer versions are worth the cash. Overall if you dont want to fork out the cash for a Cali, I'd start with a PGC or the SP.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  17. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Might be worth looking into the Maxon cp101. Very transparent with a relatively low max ratio of 4:1.

la noise and RYAN1987M like this.
  18. minty901

minty901 Member

It blows my mind how quickly everyone here recommends really expensive pedals to just about anyone.

Mooer Yellow Comp is the best answer to OP's question without really breaking the bank, although I'd be tempted to recommend trying out a cheaper Joyo or something first.

Personally, if I didn't have my Yellow Comp, the Zoom ms50G's "OptComp" mode is excellent and pretty much sounds and does the same thing as the Mooer Yellow comp, although perhaps with a little more subtlety even. It's digital, but it's also an excellent mulei-effects unit in a small box. You have to update the firmware to get access to the OptComp mode. Well worth picking up if you aren't sure about compressors because it's not too expensive and can be used for loads of other things if you decide against using it as a compressor. In fact I hated compressors until I tried the Zoom OptComp, and then I loved it and it is what prompted me to buy a Mooer Yellow Comp.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  19. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Quite surprised no one mentioned Empress. Ended my search. Went through a lot of them. Been on my board 5 or more years. That said, the Cali 76 models may well be worth a look. I have never played one so I can't opine.

kowalski440 and RYAN1987M like this.
  20. bbe_rev

bbe_rev Member

I've had a Harlow on my board for 6 months or so, it's pretty solid for my needs, I have a Keeley GC-2 also, and A/B them once in awhile, they are both really nice, the Harlow always seems to edge the Keeley out, for my tastes. The Harlow has a little more "sweetness", I use compression very subtly.

RYAN1987M likes this.