Compressors that don't kill high end?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WienerDog, Feb 5, 2008.

1. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

I'm looking for a boutique-type compressor that does not chop off your high end. Most of the Ross variants seem to do this.

Any recommendations?

2. Ariel Pozzo

Ariel Pozzo Member

Menatone JAC. I have the 4-knob version (has a treble cut ala Vox)...awesome. But I guess the 3-knobber is just as good.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had an old 2-knob Keeley compressor and felt that it was VERY clear through most of the knob's range. That was a cool pedal that could double as a clean, clear boost--but it was almost too subtle as a "squisher". I didn't find that it made much of a difference unless the sustain was up really high.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You can always tell, in a compressor thread, who plays Teles and who doesn't. ;)

5. justintee

justintee Member

i nearly agree completely with this.. great pedal, a keeper... to be fair i haven't played through a lot of comps

6. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Amen to that. Give me a Dyna Comp for my tele any day. That little bit of top end lop off is key.

For Gretsch/Gibson guitars, give me a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer variant. The little high end shimmer/grit that it adds is wonderful. I've been using the Pedaldoctor FX Tangerine Squeeze for a little over a year. Dig it tons; it works great as a boost for an OD, too.

DISCLAIMER: I know Tim, the Pedaldoctor. I paid full price for his stuff, and for the mods/repairs he did to a lot of my other stuff. No kick-back or personal gain comes to me for mentioning his pedals, I just dig it. Alot.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

If you want studio quality compression, with control over the Threshold and Ratios, plus a pristine clean boost, then definitely try a Maxon CP9-Pro+ Compressor/Limiter. It's unlike any of the other pedal compressors, which have settings that are so strange, no wonder so many people don't like them. I just saw one for sale on eBay for a great price.

8. iggs

iggs Member

Diamond Pedals Compressor.

9. StuBrew

StuBrew Member

BJF Pine Green Compressor, added bonus in that its the quietest compressor Ive tried.
    My 2nd choice would be the Analogman Juicer Orange Squeezer variant.

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Barber Tone Press

11. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've had the barber tone press and even with the original signal blended all the way back into the mix it STILL took off a little bit of high-end.... i even bought the tone press twice just to make sure i wasn't missing something. in the end it just wasn't my cup of tea.

i've only been happy with the Maxon CP-101 as it retains ALL of the high-end AND the guitars pick/string attack. I've heard the Maxon CP9 Pro+ is even better, but it's a little pricey.

12. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

+1!

13. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

+2!

14. 89strat

89strat Member

15. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

I agree....

16. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have a Keeley 4 knob and it absolutely cuts off high end. The trick is to turn DOWN the Trim knob which smooths out the squish and idecreases the amount of high end cut. As you turn it up you can hear the high end go away..

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

BJF Pale/Pine Green Compressor...I was dumb I sold my first one...good luck finding or affording one though...

I just got lucky and scored one off ebay Italy for a song and a dance after looking for 2 years...I think there is one in the Emporium...

another great affordable choice is the Okko Fx. CoCo Comp. a truly great compressor for not much money...I want to shoot this out against the PGC...

Chow,
    Seegs

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'll 3rd the BJF Pine Green Compressor.
    Absolutely does not kill the high end, and compresses very quietly. Excellent!

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to take a risk, go out on a limb, and post something now I've kept bottled up for the past 2 months since I bought and sold my own Tone Press. I just don't get why people go nuts over them. I like my cheapie, tiny Guyatone Micro-Compressor-Sustainer better and yes, it lets you blend in the uneffected signal too (albeit in a pre-set amount but the preset is perfect for my needs).

P.S. to the OP: don't buy this one, it most excellently smooths out the highs.

[​IMG]

20. alivegy

alivegy Member

I love my little guyatone compressor as well. It's wonderfully adjustable. With the direct switch on you still get all of your highs mixed back in, if you turn it off it balances everything out to a nice warm, squishy, shimmer. I love it. The Diamond is a great optical compressor as well and has the option to dial back in the highs separately which sounds like what you want. I do love my guyatone though. The diamond is more like a studio compressor.