Compressors that won't squash a Hollow-Body Guitar -- Xotic SP vs. Wampler ego, etc.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WWLaidback, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

I came in here to recommend the Diamond, but after hearing what OP wants, I recommend the Fat General from ThorpyFX. Sustain, sustain, sustain with two modes and a blend control. Nice option to dial in the treble. Should scratch the itch.

WWLaidback likes this.
  2. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Sp Compressor is assembled in Taiwan:
    https://xotic.us/country-of-origin

I used the SP for a couple years or so as an always-on with both a tele and a 335, I think it's great for light compression and "evening out the strings" for clean soloing and funky rhythm work. It will alter your tone though, as all compressors will to some extent. I still have yet to try the Diamond, widely considered one of the most transparent...

WWLaidback likes this.
  3. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Adding sustain isn't going to help your guitar cut through the mix. If you want your band mix to improve, you and the band need to work on EQing your instruments so that they aren't stepping on each other. Then, nobody will have to play loud to be heard in the mix.

G'OlPeachPhan and WWLaidback like this.
  4. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

Effectrode LA-1A is quite transparent and has an extremely low noise floor, so it's about as hi-fi as it gets. The dynamic EQ switch will keep the high end janglies going. The range is huge, so it's a rare comp that needs no dry mix control.

71strat and WWLaidback like this.
  5. WWLaidback

WWLaidback Member

Great point. I play the 1st four strings above fret 5. Sometimes I bump up the lead by a whole octave compared to the cover song. We have some sound system issues to work out, and it has improved considerably. The room dynamics are part of the problem -- we rehearse with the room empty -- and then everything changes with a lot of human bodies in there. They deaden the sound.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  6. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

I was going to suggest the EGO D you can't afford a Cali76

WWLaidback likes this.
  7. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Empress is the best pedal compressor available IMHO!

8. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Agreed. Can’t go wrong with the ego but the Cali76 looks fun

9. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Since you're giving up on compressors (I don't use them either) I'll put in another nudge for trying some clean boosters like @Jabby92 and I have suggested... stack a few of them; probably at the end of your chain after your delay but you should also try before. Something like the MXR CAE or Micro Amp for example or just an overdrive pedal set clean (Barbershop gets my vote here).

The Fulltone 2B might be a good choice last in line because it's supposed to be very neutral as a clean boost, can run up to 18v so it shouldn't clip if you put another boost before it, and it also has the "dynamics" knob which is a limiter; not exactly a compressor but somewhere in that grey area between boost and compression. The Keeley GC-2 would be another option for this but I know you aren't crazy about Keeley.

Having that limiting after your delay might also help reduce the sudden onset of oscillation. You can put compressors or limiters in the FX loop of delays to accomplish this if your delay has that feature. Some delays are better than others for hanging out in that near-infinite area before oscillation and also some have less of a volume jump when they do oscillate.

WWLaidback and cubistguitar like this.
  10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Supporting Member

A General Guitar Gadgets AD3208, which is basically a Boss DM-3, but most any delay you like the tone of can be set up this way.

Another way to achieve natural compression is to roll back volume on the guitar, and crank the amp up more, dialing in all tone controls on amp and guitar to accommodate; it lets the amp do more of the work this way.

WWLaidback likes this.
  11. HughesP

HughesP Member

Diamond is awesome, for sure, but it isn’t as much a sustaining compressor as some...

Recently got one of the new JHS compressors (the whitey righty? I put a sticker over the graphic). It’s a FET compressor, which, from what I’ve read, is a little more the type from the origin Cali type compressors instead of being another ross/dyna comp type. It seems to have more high end than the SP or ego, and for me at least, it seems work better with him buckets and p90s than those other mini compressors.

12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I did not realize the Chinese were making knock-offs of the SP. Good to know. That did seem odd to me when I read that cause last I checked all my Xotic stuff was/is USA made.

Well I appreciate that Xotic is honest at least and shows the reality of the production. Doesn't surprise me that they source a lot of stuff from Taiwan/Japan.. this is really where all the good modern electronics come from. Even pedal makers who 'source from USA suppliers', the suppliers are most likely getting stuff from Asia as well. Oh well, my Xotic pedals are still the best I've owned/used.. so even if its a 50/50 thing I don't regret buying them.

WWLaidback likes this.
  13. WWLaidback

WWLaidback Member

Thanks Tabor. I'm getting a Mission VM Pro volume pedal with a buffer. It also isolates the tuner and it has a sparkle switch to boost the highs at low volume.

Tabor likes this.
  14. WWLaidback

WWLaidback Member

I'll have to try your delay-method for sustain, that you mentioned in an earlier post, but I don't see how it will give you a smooth-even sustain on a single-note.

This is how I get maximum sustain with Strymon Volante, and I am not using it as an echo. The "repeats" sound more like oscillations rather than actual repeat notes.

Set the media type to Studio which is the cleanest setting.

1) Set repeat time near minimum where repeats blend-smoothly together rather than each repeat sounding staccato-like.
    2) Slow the tape speed to a minimum to stretch out the time.
    3) Turn the repeats up to near oscillation to push them out as far as possible on the time scale.
    4) Minimize all distortion settings to stabilize oscillations.
    5) Set playback note to smallest interval -- I'm using a 1/16 note which becomes a 1/8 note at "half time".
    6) Set feedback repeat notes to multiple intervals -- to fill as much space as you can.
    7) Set repeats to triplette to even out the repeat spacing so the volume is more uniform, and it will have a lightly rippled texture from the pitch oscillations that sounds very musical -- a wavering single note with pitch vibrato as it were.

[​IMG]

15. G'OlPeachPhan

That wavering single note with oscillation and pitch vibrato effect you describe does not sound like what I have in mind when someone says they want a natural sustain sound.... musical, sure.

The reason the delay method I described works to produce sustain, is because as you sustain the original note with your playing technique, the delay continues to reproduce what you’re playing into it, with a natural, relatively unaffected sound. A slightly darker analog repeat is my preference, but even something clinical and standard like a Boss DD-5 can be set up this way to good effect.

16. WWLaidback

WWLaidback Member

It sounds like you're talking about echo-repeats from a single-note that you play, or a single-chord that you strum once. I can do that by increasing the time-knob from say 1 ms (where the echo-repeats are so fast that the human ear thinks it is continuous sound) to say 400 ms delay which is easy to hear, and leave everything else the same as the picture.. Is that what you mean? Thanks

17. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I see only one mention of The Warden by Earthquaker Devices. It's an optical comp and it's quiet compared to other compressors (I have Keeley compressor+ a couple of Barber Tone Press's and I used to have a Boss CS-3). It is more subtle in it's effect and you won't notice it at all since it doesn't color the tone much if at all. And you get quite a bit of sustain with it.

18. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

The way you describe using the Volante makes me think you're almost getting a modulated reverb type sound out of it.
    I'm a little confused now...
    Maybe you just need a Mr. Black Supermoon.

19. Produktsumme

Produktsumme Member

OP you should definitely try the Keeley Compressor+. I hate compressors for the same reason as you do, I want that articulate attack of the note, I vary picks a lot (sometimes I have 4 to 5 different picks in one song) and a compressor tends to kill the difference pick choice and picking technique makes. Anyway, the blend control on the Keeley allows me to retain that attack characteristic while still giving me added sustain. Thinline Telecaster here, works really well.

20. G'OlPeachPhan

EXACTLY! :)