Compressors.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Red Planet, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Any suggestions on a Compressor to try?

Clean, Low Noise.

I'm looking for some simple sustain when I dont have her dimed. I have not used many and what I have used have been noisy.

Me and Rastaman were Talking bout this earlier and though he broguht the subject up its something I need to get around to.

I think I'm gonna turn my thoughts towards new pedals verses new Guiatrs and Amps. Its cheaper. :D

Just went through Booteek speaker Hell only to use production speakers over all the supposed best. :rolleyes:

2. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

3. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

MrMunky,
    That is one lovely song. Great playing & great tone!

4. muddy

muddy Member

the most transparent i've heard is the menatone jac. it's the best pedal he makes, hands down!

ml

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

The Barber Tone Press always seems like a good quality, simple, fair priced pedal that sounds good.

The Blackbox Oygen peldal is very cool and gives you a ton of flexibility. Leon C. turned me on to it and I have been impressed.

Evan.

6. covert

covert Member

Aphex Punch Factory

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

My favorite is the Maxon CP101. Very sooth, 4:1 ratio. Real nice for having compression, without really hearing a compressor on. Can sqaush a bit if cranked, but still not real squashy.

For a more interactive, squashy tone, the Keeley is hard to beat.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I use the Keeley with the attack set very slow so you can keep your dynamics, and the Homebrew comp-retro for the most transparency.. The CPR is more transparent and doesn't kill the highs, it is a very nice compressor in deed..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

9. drolling

drolling Member

Gotta love TGP. I've never heard of most of the comps listed so far.

My old Boss CS-2 is still on the small board I use with my tele- very Nashville sounding.

A script logo DynaComp's the only buffered pedal in my big electric rig. A great little booster, it's always on.

I have a Vox AC15 that's very picky about what's in the signal path, but it seems to like my JangleBox. The treble/bass boost switch is an unususual but useful feature.

On the opposite end of the price scale, there's the dirt cheap Marshall ED-1 with its own take on a tone control.

I'd really like to try the BJF Pale Green Compressor. I've been told that it kicks in faster than most. I'd be interested to hear from players who're using one.

Great thread! Keep em coming..

10. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Electro Harminix Blackfinger. All tube very nice sound. very vestal in that you can set it for an aggressive modern compression or a very natural classic style by switching the bulb type used either bulb or led. It is quiet and really adds a nice touch to solos.

11. mustangman

mustangman Member

im liking the Analogman Juicer.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

mustangman, is that like a dan armstrong orange sqeezer clone?
    i LOVE the orange squeezer and it's clones. by far it's the most musical guitar compressor that i've heard (well, maybe short of using a manley voxbox as a guitar compressor. but that's insane).
    i really dig all of these:

http://www.pedalworx.com/mcsqueeze.html
    http://www.vintagetoneproject.com/danarmstrong.htm
    http://www.pedaldoctor.com/TangerineSqueeze.html

13. mustangman

mustangman Member

yes, the analogman juicer is a dan armstrong orange sqeezer clone.

14. gulliver

gulliver Member

I'm a little confused about compressors for guitar. I understand the jazzers using them as it's part of the sound, but for high gain rock or blues they seem unnecessary to me. I Have a so-so one built into my G-Major, and use it to simulate my power amp's tube compression when I'm playing at very low volumes, but that's about it. I also have an ART MDC 2001, which is about at par with the G-Major, although not made for guitar.

When recording, I have a few nice Pro Tools plug-ins, but rarely use them on guitar tracks as they rarely need more once the amp, speaker, and mic get done doing their squashing ... that is, unless playing super clean or acoustic.

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

BJF Pale Green Compressor was best ever!

You can check "Slap it" and "Twinkle..." Volume swell..
    Tomo's clinic videos

Tomo

16. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

the lowest noise and best tweakability I found in Carl martins Compressor.

17. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

IMO, compressors are a very individual thing and you really have to try them for yourself to see what works best for you and with your rig.

I've gone ahead and purchased a few of the better known and highly praised "boutique" compressor pedals based upon all the positive reviews here and at some of the other forums only to find that they didn't work for me and that I much preferred my cheap old Boss CS-3! :eek:

Most of these "boutique" compressors are based upon the Ross only with some slight tweaks and better components...and I've found that the Ross style compressor just doesn't work for me. It's not a matter of one being better or worse...it just all depends upon your application and what works for you.

I was always embarrassed to say I liked the Boss CS-3 better than some of the boutiques...especially the way that it gets bashed around here :eek: :eek:..... that was until I saw this picture of David Grissom's pedal board

[​IMG]

:dude

18. ABKB

ABKB Member

I agree that compression is VERY individual. I know I'm in the minority, but I really like the MXR Supercomp. It's not true bypass, but I always leave it on anyway so no big thing for me there. With high output pickups it will add some gain (which I like) but with single coils it is nice and transperant. But thats all IMHO. try a bunch of em, go with what the ears tell ya.

19. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I have to say that the Barber is by far the best that I've tried to date. I do also like the Analogman Bicomp as a second choice. I have not tried either the BGF or the Menatone that was mentioned, but love their products.

Here is a clip using the Barber to push a Sans amp

http://harryj.net/tele_blues.mp3

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

20. mrhappy

mrhappy Member

Anybody know what those little grey boxes are on Grissom's pedalbord? Looks like some kinda filter for the DC supply?