Compressors.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Red Planet, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Rufmanj

Rufmanj Guest

I go for the Barber Tone Press.

Smooth, silky sustain, quiet and clean, with true bypass.

Haven't tried many, so maybe there's better. It's so subjective.

My 2 centavos!

-Rufmanj

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

They are Fulltone 9-18 volt doublers so Grissom can run his Fat Boost and Fulldrive II at 18 volts. Running those pedals at 18 volts results in a more open and less compressed tone compared to running them at 9 volts.

I emailed Fuller asking if he still offered the DC doublers but he replied that he no longer made them as they were cost/time prohibitive.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

OK You guys just send me all of em and I'll try em out.:D

I think I'm gonna try out that Tone Press.

4. theHoss

theHoss Member

+1 On the TonePress!

5. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I'm not laughing because you like the CS-3, but I am curious to hear your (and other's) explanation of the differences.

Many have suggested a pedal, but I'd like to hear why.

I have a CS-3, and replacing it is on my list of things to do. Compression seems to be a very subjective thing.

6. Fireball XL5

I run my compressor first in line and leave it on all the time. Basically, what I'm trying to achieve is a "touch" of leveling when I attack the strings followed by a "slight" increase in sustain immediately following the attack. It's very subtle...but just enough to smooth and even things a bit and keep everything in "the sweet spot" for a touch longer.

The problem I ran into with the Ross style compressors was no matter how I adjusted them they "sucked down" the signal too much on the attack and then there was this delayed blooming of the note after.

If I adjusted the pedal so that it didn't totally kill my attack then I was right back to having that big initial spike... AND, still had that delayed blooming effect.

For some reason (unknown by me) the CS-3 "grabs" the note quicker after the attack and also sustains it quicker...enough so that I don't notice any delayed blooming effect. It just sounds and most importantly FEELS more natural to me.

If you look at how Grissom sets his compressor in the photo...that is exactly how I set mine when I'm using a guitar with humbuckers....and Grissom generally plays humbucker guitars. With single coils I run the level control slightly less at 12:00 and the sustain slightly higher at 11:00 or 12:00.

As far as lack of clarity and tone change with the CS-3 that others have complained about....I frankly don't hear it. At least not with the way I set and run my compressor. And since I leave the compressor on all the time, true bypass doesn't concern me.

7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Brent Mason uses a CS-3 and has for years.

For what it's worth, I wasn't crazy about the TonePress. I found I didn't like the blend feature at all... and even turning it off (fully clockwise) still resulted in an odd sort of attack I just couldn't dig. My favorite of the ones I've tried has been the CompNova, but I have to admit I'm sort of coming around to Fireball's POV.... most of the boutique stuff I've tried has not worked for me.

A

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

in my previous post, i cited the musicality of the dan armstrong orange squeezer clones. i don't really use compression for anything apart from that clean, tele chickin' pickin' sound that we all know and love. think vince gill, ricky skaggs, albert lee, etc..
    the orange squeezer(s) has THAT sound in spades. no other compressor that i have used has had that type BIGNESS for that type of application.
    for other applications like blues or rock, i can't really say, 'cuz then the compression all comes from output tube/tranny saturation for me.

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I don't recall anyone else who didn't love the Barber
    But it is all subjective 'fer sure
    I also haven't heard the attack you hear with the blend 100% to natural.

By the way, real nice country tunes!

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Hey, thanks! :D

Yeah... I know I'm breaking new ground with my opinion. ;) I don't think it's a bad compressor at all. It does what it does very well. It's just that that's not what I'm after.

A

11. Fireball XL5

Well...I guess I'm the second person on the list then because I have the Tone Press and I can't get on with it either! ;)

The only reason I haven't sold it is because I keep telling myself.... "maybe if I come back to it at some point in time I will like it" :confused: But so far...no go.

In theory, the Tone Press sounded like it would be EXACTLY what I would want as far as a compressor goes... and that's why I ordered one not long after they came out. But in practice, I found the blend feature didn't work for me either. I still like the CS-3 better. :eek:

I don't want everyone to come away thinking that I'm touting the CS-3 as the "be-all, end-all" of compressors...in fact, it's far from it. It's just that "for Me" nothing I've tried has topped it. That's why talking about this stuff (especially compressors) is sooo tough and subjective. You really need to take the plunge and buy or borrow these pedals and try them for yourself in your own rig to see if they will work for your specific application.

Also....

Like Grissom, I'm basically a blues-rock player (think early ZZ Top, Cream-era Clapton, Paul Kossoff with Free, Hendrix, Trower)...those are the tones I strive for....I don't play country. I only point that out because a lot of people think that the CS-3 is only good for country music styles.

12. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

If you like the CS-3 you might want t look into the Marshall ED-1. I think the have some similarities. The only problem with them is their jacks. They are an unusual design for most US pedals, and will give you trouble if you use cables with cable plugs that are "on the large side" if "1/4 inch" (like Monste Cable).

You can find them used for $40.

Brett

13. Robboman

Robboman Member

I vote for the Visual Sound Route 66. It's a very nice, transparent comp with a good TS style OD thrown in for free.... great value. I like it much better than the Pedalworx McSqueeze I had, and sorry but I completely hated my CS-3!

I think it depends largely on how you use compression. Not everyone wants transparency, some guys really use it with extreme levels as an effect in itself. The Orange Squeezer types can be really good for that. I want transparent compression that I leave on almost all the time. I just want it to fatten and sustain the tail end of notes and chords and stay in the sweet spot for gain longer WITHOUT mucking up the attack too much.

14. Robboman

Robboman Member

Having said this, has anyone directly A/Bed the Route 66 with the Barber, Keeley, Analogman, Menatone - etc? I haven't tried those!

..I've also tried various Ibanez, DOD, and Carl Martin. RT66 still beats those IMO

15. Rufmanj

Rufmanj Guest

One thing about the Barber Tone Press is that it took me a while to appreciate it. It was subtle, at first, and I didn't really notice much.

Then I started fooling with it and I started to notice it - it's hard to describe but playing single notes, it seemed to make the tone bigger and rounder.

I fooled with it some more and found a really nice sustain and still that big round tone.

The real proof of the pudding was when I turned it off - yikes! the sound of my guitar seemed limp by comparison.

Now, I play with it on all the time and the word that comes to mind is sweet, just very sweet. I do play with Fralin vintage blues pickups, so it may be the marriage of the Tone Press with the Fralin pickups that comes up with such a satisfying tone.

Which brings to mind another point - the combination of the guitar, amp, and compressor adds up to each person's individual sound (not to mention other effects). So what works for my Custom USA Strat with Fralin pickups and Rivera r-55 amp might not sound so great with your PRS guitar and your Fender Super Deluxe. (or whatever!)

Anyway, this is an interesting discussion.

Again, my two centavos!

-Rufmanj

16. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have an analogman modded MXR Dyna Comp reissue and its nice.

Not to change the subject but how the heck do you log on?

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

who, me?

18. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I noticed on loooper.com that he offers a blend pot option on the loop boxes. It might be cool to run your favorite compressor in the loop and then blend it in as much as you want. I guess this is what the Tone Press pedal has, but using a loop box would let you have the blend option with the compressor of your choice. I suppose you could do this with an overdrive, too. Hmmm - I see another loop box in my future....

19. mischultz

mischultz Member

I'll probably pick up another Tone Press at some point for acoustic duties - it's clean/subtle enough to be a real help on that front. But the Pedalworx McSqueeze has proven to be the best fit for my current setup (Strat/EL84s). I've also liked the Maxon and the original BOSS CS1.

But I do believe that - as some people have noted - there are a wide, wide variety of flavors available. Almost like overdrives or delays in that respect, and a matter of what best fulfills your goals. You might add weight, pop, snap, smooth or snarl - all legitimate comp aims - but no one box is going to get it all done...

Michael

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member