Compressors.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Red Planet, Sep 17, 2005.

1. b_rad

b_rad Supporting Member

Keep a lookout for the Squeeze Factor that we have coming out in a couple of weeks.

It's a really cool and unique take on the Orange Squeezer with a blend pot for going from compression to boosted clean. Should be fun. :)

2. arexjay

arexjay Member

How do you like the CS-2? Is it worth it over some of the more common ones such as the TonePress?

(btw, I'm new here but a regular at HC)

3. danut

danut Member

Can someone, please, explain me the Tone Press's Blend control? I mean how does it blend the clean tone with the compressed one? In the fully counter-clockwise position, is the signal 100% compressed, with no clean signal addeed or is it the other way around?
    Thanks a lot!

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

clockwise is effect
    counter is clean

When set to 7:00 (totally clean) it functions as a clean boost, superb for pushing an amp or OD.

at 5:00 (full effect) it is like standard comps.

To my ear, at 5:00, it sounds similar to my Analogman Bicomp(Ross), but a little higher fidelity. There is an internal trim pot to allow you to dial out this crispness. If you use it more for pushing an overdrive, or amp, this trim pot warms it up.

For clean use, once again to my ear, it is far more transparent, and useful to me than my: Bicomp, Maxon, Keely, Boss CS-3, '70's Dynacomp, and Ibanez CPL

My Bicomp is a close 2nd for me. Both sides have their own voices. I love the Ross side with attack maxed into a Marshall or OD unit. The O.S. side is very sweet, but has limited variables. At their lowest setting, I can still hear the attack transient squashing.

The Maxon has a nice tone, but at it's lowest setting it squashes even more than the Bicomp, and has a limited preamp gain. (It's For Sale) How's that for a sales pitch!

I use the Tone Press with sustain full on, and blend set to about 8:00 ( app.90% clean) This setting allows the natural attack to shine through with zero "breathing" yet the notes sing and bloom with tone.

When I use a compressor, I don't want it to be so noticeable that it sounds like a guitar with compression. I just want it to sound like the BEST guitar tone!

Rant over... P.S. No, I am not an endorser for Barber... But would like to be... if 'yer listening Dave :)

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

5. Tomo

Tomo Member

6. thintele

thintele Member

I have been using a CS-2 for years and I think its a great pedal. Nice squash for that Nashville sound and also a nice thickening agent for my dirty sounds. There is some a slight coloring of tone...very slight, and I do wish it was true bypass, but I still dig it!

7. drolling

drolling Member

I've only been hangin here for a few months myself. Great board full of knowledgeable, friendly people, but I gotta tell ya, I've never bought so many pedals in such a short time. They're all good, too!

I've had a CS-2 for years, it's got a very distinct character of it's own. My favorite for those big 'pedal steel' style bends with a telecaster. It's another example of Boss being unable to leave well enough alone, I prefer it to their current issue CS-3. Unlike the old Dynas, you can still pick these up pretty cheap. Haven't tried the Barber, but I've noticed that players either really love or hate his stuff. He's got this kind of sonic signature that accents the mids.

8. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

As am I, Mr Munky.

I've got an Analog Man mini BiComp.

I started out primarily using the Ross side, but lately I've grown more fond of the Orange Squeezer side.

I use it to add more depth and presence to clean sounds. Great, thick clean rhythms. I find I don't have to kick in distortion to maintain presence, even with solos. I can just kick in a little volume boost and still stay up front in the mix with clean solos.

The rhythm on Tightrope uses it. I can't remember if I kicked in more gain for the solo in Rock This Town on the version posted, put lately I haven't been.

http://www.swampcoolermusic.com/music.htm

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I borrowed a CS-3 the other day just for giggles. Can anyone give me some sample settings for it.

I want the sustain but dont want the squash.

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Here is how I typically set mine:

If I'm using my Les Paul or a guitar with vintage style humbuckers...

Level- 2:00
    Tone- 12:00
    Attack- 2:00
    Sustain- 10:00

If I'm using my Strat (vintage style single coils)...

Level- 12:00
    Tone- 12:00
    Attack- 3:00
    Sustain- 12:00

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx Fireball. I'l give those settings a try.

I'm not used to using this type of effect so its gonna take me a little while to figure it out.

What I'd like is no coloration but gobs of Sustain added to Clean and Dirty Settings. :dude

12. Fireball XL5

It's something you'll have to experiment with to see how and "if" it works for you. My settings work well for ME...but I'm not looking to add "gobs of sustain" with the CS-3.

What I'm trying to accomplish with that pedal is extremely subtle:

A touch of limiting...just enough to avoid any big spikes on the attack...followed by a small and immediate increase in sustain...just enough to keep the note in the sweet spot for a bit longer. It's more about having a more even sounding tone than adding a lot of extra sustain.

On the CS-3, I NEVER set the Sustain control beyond 12:00...and usually run it lower than that at 10:00. I'm willing to bet that most guys that absolutely hate the CS-3 plug into it...jack the Sustain knob way up...and then say: "WTF" :confused: But that's not what I'm looking for or how I use it...so it works for me.

That's why talking about this stuff and saying things like "This pedal is great" or "That pedal sucks" is so difficult. It all depends on your application.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well when I get time I'm gonna try your settings and see wahat I think about that.

Any sugestions on running it for extra sustain without it being noticeable?

14. Fireball XL5

Just experiment and see if there is a setting that works for you. But remember, with any compressor there will always be a compromise between sustain and dynamics. More sustain = less dynamics + more squash.