Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ejkennedy, Apr 26, 2015.

1. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

every once in a while I grab a compressor and think "sweet sound" and then the noise just turns me away. Ha. All the best sounding compressors Ive had and used (no more than couple hours because of this) were also the noisiest. Comps have never stayed on a board more than a few days. I've tried many and then realize they're not for me. Grabbed this Diamond bass comp. I already knew it was noisy even through an awesome bass rig but just wanted to try it through the electric rig. Again, awesome tone sweetener. Makes every pup setting in the tele sound a little extra rich and beefy (not more gainy). But not even worth the noise. bahumbug.

[​IMG]

2. meowmers

meowmers Member

I currently have my compressor after all my dirt.

It's a beautiful thing, doesn't add any noise for me. YMMV

3. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

I turn my guitar volume off and comps on just to see what their adding. This one is one of the noisest. Direct in.

4. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

The guitar version of Diamonds comp is the same. And also EXTREMELY similar is sound. Like maybe identical. Ha. Of course I haven't had the guitar version for a while. But I have a good tone memory.

5. jman

jman Supporting Member

I thought I would love the Diamond based on all the praise...think I had it for 2 weeks at most. I was not too bothered by the noise(only really noticed it with OD), it just did something I did not much care for - the RAF Mirage, Pedal Doctor Tangerine Squeeze,Demeter Compulator, Xotic SP or even a CS-3 are all better, IMO.

- I had the surf green one, btw...maybe there was something wrong with it.

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Do you play noiseless pickups in that tele?

7. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

In my experience, compressors aren't inherently noisy themselves but instead are amplifying any noise already in your setup. It's just the nature of what they're doing - making loud things quieter and quiet things louder.

8. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

bam....^ what this guy said...the compressor is not making noise...it is showing you the noise in your rig. The mirror isn't making you fat...but it will show you how fat you are.

9. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Yup.

10. Digidog

Digidog Member

Ha ha ha! I use two compressors in my pedal rig. They're so useful for a great many things that I would never want to be without them. They have to be used with care and consideration of course.

11. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Best thing I discovered for live rigs were compressors that allow a clean blend in. AKA Parallel compression

VFE White Horse, Barber Tone Press for example.

Gives that sweetening as well as keeps noise down.

12. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

Not noiseless but without the comp on this rig is pretty silent. :). The Diamond bass comp adds a "hush". No such sound exists in my rig whther quiet or loud. Or really loud. So it's not a confusion over the quiet noises being brought to level and the louder noises being dropped to level. :) it's just noisy. But I'm OCD about extra curricular noise in my equipment so I'm absolutely certain most guitarists I know wouldn't even care or notice. Ha.

13. Wagster

Wagster Member

Not sure some people understand how compressors work. All comps will make dirty tones sound noisier unless they have a built in noose gate.

14. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

Without a doubt. ^^^ Also, what I'm referring to is while playing super clean.

15. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I'll do the obligatory "if you play with a band you won't hear the noise" post.

If you play with a band you won't hear the noise.

There, done.

16. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Relevance?

He didn't mention a band.

Best way to fix noise? Join a band!

17. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

Lolol. Very true and I would say the same. Except: "if you play live and you use IEM's you WILL hear the noise" coming from some of these compressors. Haha. Touché.

18. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

This.

19. snooze

snooze Member

Have a look to the Keeley GC-2. It doesn't add more noise than a transparent boost would (probably due to the added amplification stages).

I returned a Xotic SP because it was too noisy (but I liked it) and switched to the GC-2 and I really dig it.

Try it!

20. sadhudude

sadhudude Member

I am not a great compressor fan as I like my dynamics and feel that the subtle compression effect that I do like at home is a bit lost in a band setting where the amp (small and valve) does some of the work in that area.

However, if you really want some subtle compression that is most definitely quiet see if you can find a Boss LM-2, works in a different way (someone more technical than me can explain better) but has a very similar effect, great little pedal.