Compressors...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rjfletcher82, Jun 4, 2008.

1. rjfletcher82

rjfletcher82 Member

Here's the deal...:moon

I hate my Boss Comp...HATE it! It's killing my tone and it's frustrating to use.

That being said...I need a little Consumer Feedback...

Here are four of my possibilities, and I really don't want to spend over $300 on a compressor...

EH Black Finger:stir
    EH White Finger
    Retro-Sonic Compressor
    Pigtronix ASDR - Attack Sustain:dude:stir

Right now, I'm leaning (conservatively) toward the White Finger OR (extravagantly) toward the Pigtronix.

HELP!:worried

2. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

I have a Carl Martin I like. It is 110 and kind of a studio grade in a stoomper. I have a Jangle box and a Keelyu or analogman comprosse (2 built in 1). do you want to hear it or not hear it? squeezee hear or more to make chicken pickin pop out or just a bit to smooth oout the level? the bi-comprosser does both as it is 2 in one box. I like the carl martin because I can just leave it on and being AC if I forget to unplug the cables the batery does not die, but I never play out. If you have a 12 string in particular Jangle box is good.

3. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

retrosonic is repro of ross. my bi-comprosser has a ross clone in it.

4. Daeveed

Daeveed Member

Have you thought about the Barber Tone Press?

I had a Boss CS-3 before. I modded it with Monte Allum's Opto Mod, and while that improved it, I still went ahead and replaced it with a Tone Press. I am really happy with it, it's been about two years now.

It's also not super expensive.

5. diacomo

diacomo Member

You can also try EMMA transmorgrifier. As with more or less every stompbox comp, you suddenly lose the lows (if it's before the preamp) but it's fully editable (four controls) and hiss free. To tell you the truth I find it addictive, but I'm supposed to be objective here.

6. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi try the Hartman compressor great value for a low price :)
    Peace Strat58

7. JVania

JVania Member

+1 for the Tone Press

8. never-enough

never-enough Member

+1 on the barber tone press. i sold my cs3 a while ago after realizing i would never plug into again, i just couldn't stand the thing. a friend of mine picked up a tone press recently and i was excited to check it out after hearing the hype about it.
    i was not disappointed in the least, it sounds great and is easy to use, it will be the next pedal i buy.

9. njhead

njhead Member

Just got a Diamond Compressor recently, its the best I have played so far. I have owned a Keeley 2-knob, another ross clone, and a Pedalworx McSqueeze.

10. jayn

jayn Member

+1...if you are open to stepping away from the Ross family. Way better.

I actually like my Boss CS-2 quite a bit too. But, the Diamond is better. Better than anything I've ever used.

11. cugel

cugel Member

i have no issues with my byoc build (ross clone)

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

I am thinking about getting a Barber Tone Press. I noticed that John Fogarty is using an Aphex Punch Factory on his pedal board and anything that he uses gets my attention. Does anyone know anything about the Aphex?

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Another Diamond lover here. Really adds presence without being obtrusive.

Of course, that's for a "set it and forget it" transparent compressor. What do you want to use compression for?

14. Alter

Alter Member

i also hated the boss and i got a keeley, which i actually get to use now..!:)

15. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i have an aphex punch factory compressor and i absolutely love it. there must be something about optical compressors that makes them extra transparent, cuz the thing doesnt mess with my tone at all. id say there is MINIMAL high end roll off when the comp is on, but i dont mind at all. its got the perfect amount of squish available, i highly recommend it. and its only around 80 used!

16. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I never used a compressor before until I got the keeley. Now I use it all the time.

17. mbetter

mbetter Member

If that's a CS-2 that you hate, I'll buy it.

18. pdouds

pdouds Member

Have A Tone Press Coming. JUST DIDN'T CARE FOR THE KEELEY, BUT A LOT OF GUYS LIKE 'EM.

19. Doodles

Doodles Member

Any Ross clone or Saffron Squeeze is good Real Good!! They're all a little white noisish though!

20. RCstudios

RCstudios Member

Watch the gear page and look for a BJF Pine Green.... its a very good compressor