Comps that don't squash everything

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ChickenLover, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

I have a Barber Tone Press, Analogman BiComp, and a Keeley Comp. The BiComp and Keeley are both Ross clones and the Barber sounds and behaves like a Ross with a 'Blend' control. I really like the Keeley and the BiComp with most of my guitars...but the higher output guitars pose a problem.

My problem is that even when the Sustain (compression) control is at the minimum, the comp still squashes too much, especially if your pickups are any hotter than 'PAF' output. IMO/IME, the 'Blend' control on the Barber doesn't really work that well to help this; all you're doing is 'dialing out' the comp. By the time the 'squash' is gone, you've dialed the comp out anyway (might as well just turn it off).

So I'm looking for a compressor that doesn't have this problem. I'm considering the Diamond but wanted to ask for some opinions first. Any help appreciated.

PS - it's not an 'Attack' control problem or a trimpot problem. It's just the way Ross comps work (Dynacomps too).

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

BJF Pale Green Compressor - Hands Down.

3. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I went through a lot of compressors trying to find one that (a) didn't kill the note attack and (b) wasn't finicky to dial in. I ended up with the Aphex Punch Factory.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Diamond will work great with this. I prefer the pre-modded versions, with the 50K Comp pot for no squish whatsoever, complete transparency (with humbuckers)

5. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Moe (or anybody that might know),
    What is the value of that pot on the 'new' pedals? If it's over 50K then I can just put a resistor in parallel with the pot to get to 50K but if it's less than 50K...no can do.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Like I posted in another thread, the Diamond is THE comp to get (unless you wanna pony up another $100 and try the PGC). Moe likes the older version, which is fine. I have the newer and have absolutely no problmes with it as far as squash goes. It is very subtle and transparent. Sometimes I find myslef wishing it had a tad more squash. Get the Diamond!!

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The JangleBox in its Bright setting will keep your levels. The Normal and Dark settings add squash, so you can be flexible with it.

8. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Member

Look at Barge Concepts too

9. cameron

cameron Member

A reasonably priced option you should consider is the Optical Compressor from BBE. It's called the Opto Stomp. It's definitely more transparent than a usual guitar comp pedal (Ross etc.) It's more like the kind of compression you'd dial up using a studio compressor for bass, or for an acoustic guitar - a "soft knee" compression. But it might be just what you're looking for. And they go for only about $100.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The updated comp knob is 100K

11. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Thanks for the responses. I didn't even know BBE made pedals...cool. Now, for a comp-challenged person: what does that pad switch do on the BBE and is it useful for guitar? Is it for use with active bass pups or something?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Diamond (or maybe the BBE) because it's less expensive than the BJF Pale Green and has a tone control. But IMO, the folks at Diamond need to get those LEDs away from the switches. I thought all pedalmakers knew that players don't want the LED right next to the switch because you can't see the LED when your foot is on the switch. Clumsy tapdancers such as myself need all the help we can get on our dark, doormat-sized stages.:eek:

12. covert

covert Member

The Aphex is truly worth looking into.

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Diamond

14. Thor

Thor Member

I haven't had the opportunity to use the Diamond nor the PGC, but I have been very happy with the Demeter optocomp.

Happy hunting

Ed

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like you need a multi-band compressor. I don't know if anyone makes a stomp-box multi-band.

16. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Dare I add the EH Black Finger? (no really...it's quite a useful optical compressor IMHO, though not cheap, small, or of exceptionally robust construction)

17. cameron

cameron Member

The BBE stomp box line is relatively new - I think they just hit the stores last winter. They're quite nice, though, and very reasonably priced.

The Pad switch on the Opto Stomp is a -15 db mute. I think the idea is you shrink the signal before the compressor even sees it. That might be useful, as you suggest, for very high-output pickups, for example. You'd then just compensate by setting the output volume for the effect a little higher.

When the Opto Stomp arrived at my local store I did an A/B comparison between it and my Keeley. The Opto Stomp was a much more transparent and subtle effect. For my purposes, it wasn't going to be very useful - I guess I want that Ross comp sound. The store owner, however, is a bass player, and he simply raved about the Opto Stomp for bass purposes.

18. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Yea, I actually want that Ross comp sound too (I have it) but just wish I could turn it down more sometimes. I could use the ZVex SHO as a 'normalizer' and just turn down it's output level to match my lower output guitars. But that's probably a bit inconsistent and is another thing to have to remember to adjust everytime I change guitars.

19. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Diamond

20. Wooley

Wooley Member

Geoffrey Teese makes a nice little compressor, the RMC FK-1. I have it and I like it alot, you can dial the compression down pretty low, and it still gives you that little extra punch/clarity. You can get pretty decent squash if you want it, but not too much. It's very compact (smaller than a phase 90) and only costs $129.