Compu bias or Bias rite.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Standard 64, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Which would you choose for better accurate readings and reliability?Thanks.

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

If the cost isn't a factor, then that Compu Bias looks really nice.

I already have a nice multimeter, so I went with an AmpHead Bias Probe w/Voltage option.
    http://www.amp-head.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=70
    I've very happy with it and the company. It's easy as can be, and comes with great instructions.

3. WaltC

WaltC Member

I have them both and use which ever is closest with no problems. They are different in how they measure and what numbers you're looking for, but easy to learn to use and dependable.

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Compu-Bias!

Here's why:
    • Simultaneous readings for both tubes - easy calibration and tube matching. Perfect for 70's Fenders with a hum/bias balance control vs a bias adjustment.
    • Wattage readings - no calculation needed to see where your power output is.
    • Dead accurate - my old BiasRite wasn't, something I didn't realize until I sold it and it took a LONG time to get it corrected by Weber.
    • Smaller probes - fits in tight spaces that would have required pulling the chassis with a BiasRite.

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

another vote Compubias for accuracy. The Compubias readings match my BK test meter, the biasrite does not. it's off 2-8 volts

6. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

The pins on the Bias Rite are on a PC board, which IMHO aren't as sturdy as tube sockets used in the Compu Bias.

Also, you can switch sockets with the Compu Bias, which makes it more versatile.

The Bias Rite is very cool for the price.

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I'd recommend neither. Take the amplifier apart and check the Sgrid resistors. If they're shot, and many are, it'll skew the bias setting anyway. While you're in there put a 1Ω resistor in series with each cathode and use that for adjusting bias.

8. megatonic

megatonic Member

Easy does it Big Bang Theory. The reason we buy these meters is because we don't speak the salad.