Computer hardware question-vertical monitor lines

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Greggy, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    About a month ago a single thin vertical line (violet or purple in color) appeared on my laptop monitor. The line appears on the desktop and on any program I open. So it appears to be a monitor issue, and not a software issue.

When I run the monitor signal to my Television, the line does not appear. So again, the issue seems to be isolated at the monitor screen, or perhaps the monitor driver software?

Anyway, any solutions that you are aware of? Or is my monitor on the way out? I post this because a second vertical line, light blue in color, has now appeared. Thanks for any advice.

2. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

If the TV uses the same video output as the regular monitor, that's a good test, If it uses a different one, try connecting the monitor to a different computer and if the line is still there, the monitor has problems. If you can, connect the computer to another monitor using the same video output as your current monitor.

3. StuRdesign

StuRdesign Member

Only heard about this once, years ago - and it was a worn out, faulty ribbon connection from the laptop to the monitor, caused by opening & closing the laptop. IIRC the ribbon was replaced & all was well, might hopefully just be a replaceable connector.

4. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

I agree that it's likely to be the cable. If it's a decent machine (eg:4th gen intel processor) then it might make sense to get it serviced.

If it's not worth fixing then get a wireless keyboard and mouse and a wall mounted monitor and turn it into a desktop in the spare room

5. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    It's an Intel Centrino Duo processor. The laptop is older, but I keep it clean and mean. Have erased and reformatted the HD over the years. I baby it. I think I'll check out the monitor cable first and see if the problem is there.