Computer Multitrack interface

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Karl Paecht, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Karl Paecht

Karl Paecht Member

Hi all. Karl's back. It's been awhile. Guess it had something to do with the birth of my first child in Nov, '04! A girl. First time father at 46 and lovin' it. Anyway, I'm looking for help with this subject. What follows are the details.
    I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2 XL. I want to get into multitracking. What an array out there. I'm using a Gateway laptop, P4, 3.2 MHz, 512M Ram. External 80G USB 2.0 HDD 7200 rpm for audio. System drive os 80G but 4800 rpm. I record to the external drive. TASCAM US 122 interface. Yamaha MG 16/6 mixer. I've been recording two track into HS via the 122 with no problems. I want to go to multitrack. I have a Korg D16. We've used it before I went the computer route. I could never get the bass sound good. Plus it only has a 2.1G HDD. Also to produce CD's, I need go via the D16 optical out to my TASCAM CRW700. It sounds really good actually but I have to do it in real time. Whew! So I'm looking for help. The laptop has a four pin firewire port. I just don't know what's good, bad or otherwise. TASCAM's site stated they don't recommend the four pin for the 1082, the rack one. MOTU looks good. But I just don't know. Too many out there. Eight tracks is fine. Looking to spend under $1k. I want to stay with Cakewalk because, it's a cakewalk!:) I'm just looking for something that has good sound quality and is stable. I want to either hookup direct to it or use the group/stereo outs from the mixer. I have a three piece band. Myselg and another guitar player, bass and a drum machine. Drums, myself and bass player are all stereo in. Other guitar mono in. I'm sure I can record eight simultaneously since I'm recording to the external drive and not taxing the CPU. I don't put effects on when tracking. That's all done at mixing. I hope I've given enough info. All replies welcome. I love cakewalk's simplicity. Mixdown, export etc. All very easy for me. No it's time to take the next step so to speak. Thanks to all in advance.

2. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

Honestly If I were you I would switch to a Digi 002 Rack (you can get em under 1000.00 now). It has 4 xlr input and 4 quarter inch outs. You can track up to 32 tracks in the software it comes with. It usually ships with Protools 6.9 software. I've used cakewalk back in high school and it doesnt have NEAR the editing capabilities PT has. Spec out your comp first to see if you can run at a decent rate. The Rack is also firewire. This route is not the end all. I know alot of guys that like the cubase stuff. Hope this helps!

3. Josh O

Josh O Member

I'd go with a full blown ProTools setup if I were you!! :crazyguy

4. toomanyhoursx

toomanyhoursx Member

i have a MOTU 828mkII for sale if you're interested. $600

5. retro

retro Member

The Presonus Firepod is a nice piece of kit at a good price point. So it's way under your budget.

I've several friend's who have them and love them and they sound good.

Bayview pro audio sells them for $599.00 like everyone else, but includes 3 free mic's, cables and a Presonus HP4 headphone amp.

Should fit your needs quite well and it's not proprietary like PT Hwde., so you can still use Cakewalk or use the included Cubase if you like. Pretty hard to beat.

Just need a 6 to 4 pin adapter, if you don't have one.

And AFAIK 6 pin FW is set for 4 pins for data and 2 for bus power.
    So I'm not sure why you couldn't use an 6 to 4 pin adapter with the 1082 also.
    I would contact Tascam about that one..

http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/FirePod_w__3_free_Cascade_Mics_XLR_cables__HP4_HP_amp-p-22446.html

http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html

Also I think the Mackie 400F is a great piece of kit and is one of the better audio interfaces that is also way under $1,000.00.

Again Bayview has a bundle offer.

http://www.mackie.com/products/400f/index.html

No matter what I say I think it's always good to check on any interface with users for any FW driver or other issues.

6. livedead13

livedead13 Member

+1 on the Firepod.

i own one and highly recomend it. sounds great, easy to use, and the drivers are pretty solid. can't say the same about Cubase, but the Firepod is a great deal for $600. plus it can be used as a stand-alone 8 channel mic pre.

i bought mine new on eBay and it came with 2 small diaphragm Joe Meek condenser mics and free shipping.