Computer recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Dr Git, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I just came home to a nice HP 17" laptop. It has 4 gb ram and 1 tb HD. I don't know if this is enough memory to record music (really basic stuff) and not sure if it is even upgradable memory wise. Thoughts, trying to go out on the cheap here (this one was $400)

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I recorded basic stuff (one track at a time) in Presonus Studio One with 2 GB of memory with no significant problems. I have since upgraded to an 8GB memory Dell, but you should be fine doing basic stuff with 4GB memory. Your processor will of course make a difference too.

3. DFWGuitarMan

DFWGuitarMan Member

You should have no problem with it. once you get your DAW set up and record your tracks, the thing that tends to bog down the processor isn't the number of tracks, but all the EQs, reverbs and efx you run on each track or buss. But you have more than enough to get going. have fun

4. jim683

jim683 Member

my first recording laptop had 4GB of ram. no problem for recording up to 16 channels at a time. Even mixing, the channel count would grow to 20-30 and no problems. I use Studio One as well

5. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

You guys are going to laugh but before i awaited responses, i ran out and got a different Laptop. This one has 16gb ram and all around is a better laptop. Thanks guys

6. MiguelDamas

MiguelDamas Member

Do you have an audio interface?