Computer recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by SteveK, Nov 27, 2004.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Member

Thinking about doing some personal recording with my computer. I would like to be able to record my guitar and amp, but I'm thinking I could record the bass and keyboard direct and use some type of drum program. What interface would I need to get the sounds into the computer? What kind of mixing program would do the trick? What would be a good drum program to use? I've heard the names Cubase and Sonic tossed around but I really could use some advice on what my shopping list should look like....

2. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

You cant go wrong with an M-Box from Digidesign, it will also give you full mixing and fx plug ins too.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Member

This is basically for me to record all the parts myself, and to then have Joy add vocals. I talked to a guy yesterday and he suggested Cubase 4 which is the software and interface package, and to use Frooty Loops for drum tracks. Any thoughts?
    How does the M-Box compare sonically and cost-wise?

4. mtfingers

mtfingers Member

Cubase is just coming out with version 3. I think its the best sequencer out there. For what you want to do, you probably won't be using a large part of its features (video, multitrack, etc.) but it is very logical and easy to use.

As far as drums, you can do one of two things: use software drums, or a drum machine. I use a Zoom RT323, and it sounds good with a little compression and eq thrown on it.

There are zillions of audio/midi interfaces out there these days. The only thing I would be wary of is the USB 1 stuff. Check out some firewire interfaces instead

5. straticus

straticus Member

I was in the same situation a few years ago that you are now. After doing much research I ended up using Acid for my drum tracks and then importing them into Samplitude for editing and completion. But, truth be told, you can do just about everything you need to do in Acid nowadays. It's got the best drum sounds, much better than Fruity Loops (which I have but never use anymore) and much easier then a drum machine, IMO. Plus, Acid can do sooooooo much more than a drum machine. It opens up a whole new would of sounds and possibilities. I don't have anywhere to post MP3's right now but I'd be happy to send you a clip or two from Acid so you can hear some of the drum tracks I've done.

Another program you might want to look into in Magix Music Studio. I use Samplitude Pro which is distributed by Magix. When I read about Magix Music Studio I picked up a copy for a friend and I'm amazing at how close it comes to doing what I can do in Sampliutde. Like Samp, it sounds amazing and is extremely stable and glitch free. Plus, the price is right. I found a copy at GC for $19.95. Samp Pro is around $700.00. That makes Magix Music Studio a pretty good deal!

Check it out here http://site.magix.net/index.php?471

Best of luck!

BC :)

Edit: Also, I'm using the Aardvark Q10 Pro as my interface. That might be over kill for what you want to do right now ...... but, word of warning ........ It may not be for long. Once you get going with this stuff you just can't stop. It's a sickness ...... but one I love:D