Concerned about state of pickups.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr. Blue, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Member

I'm sorry for posting another one of these but this is slightly different. As those who helped me in a previous thread of mine may know, I messed with the pickups on my '69 CS Strat a bit in an attempt to level out the forward slant in both the neck and middle pickup. Although I am now aware that this slanting is quite normal in many strats, I was not at the time and was quite desperate to correct it. So I'm now concerned that I may have caused internal damage to the pickups or the pickup fixings.

So going partly from a suggestion by a member, I decided to try and physically force the pickups into a more level position. What I did was, I raised the neck pickup up moderately high. Then, with my two fingers, I pushed down and put pressure on the upward slanting side of it, and at the same time tried tightening the pickup screws (raising them)... They would seem to level out when I did this but as soon as I released the pressure the pickup just returned (I assume) to it's original slanted position. Now I repeated this a number of times, stupidly applying quite a lot of force. I also did this briefly on the middle pickup.

I'm really feeling worried that I possibly caused some kind of damage to the pickups (or at least the fixings) after pushing on them so much...

Now to be honest I haven't noticed any technical problems (they seem to function fine) but I do noticed that the pickups can be moved slightly. For example if I push the neck and middle lightly they will move.. Sometimes make a faint click sound.

Please can someone let me know if they think it's possible I could have caused damage to them! Or even give me an idea of how sturdy single coil pickups are. I can't find any info online. I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

And once again I apologize for this nuisance.

2. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I'd just relax - they're pretty tough and if you really damaged them, as in their function, you'd know.

You may want to pop the pickguard off and just check to make sure they're all properly attached.

If you have happened to 'damage' them, I'd guess you might have a small crack in the pickup cover between the hole for the adjusting screw and the outside of the pup cover ... this is not a big deal at all and frankly I'd just leave it.

I don't mean for this to sound condascending, but stop wiggling your pup covers.

3. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Member

Thanks for the reply gregory.

I was contemplating removing the pickguard to check but i've had people advising me not too. Funny enough they only say that when I mention it's a 69 CS. I have never done it before so I guess the risk is there.

I don't see any cracks so that's a slight relief.

Also I do get an odd squeaky sound when adjusting the middle pickup mostly (aswell as mild friction, resistence from the screw) although when I rang up Fender about that I was told it's normal. Apparently a noise created from the tube washers. I guess I can take their word for that?..

4. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

Yes, it's just the surgical tubing used as a spring that is rubbing while you adjust the screw. Your pups are fine. Play loud.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

You're out of control.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, return the guitar, it's messing with your well being. You are just too high strung to deal with minutia.

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

stop fiddling with your pickups ... you'll go blind ya know!