Concerto #3 For Piano & Chamber Orchestra (Warning: no guitar!)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 7StringJazz, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

Hi All, here is a piece I wrote in '09 for Piano and Chamber orchestra. Although written in '09, I recently realized it using Notion3 software. Its entirely artificial making use of the Notion3 orchestral samples. Pretty cool application for those looking for orchestral/arranging tools. I like it better than Sibelius and Finale and it provides more 'performance' capabilities. I downloaded the full application and did this before purchasing it from Muscian's Friend. ($199). Its middle 20th century in aesthetics. Enjoy.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/7stringjazz/concerto-3-for-piano-chamber[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. trses335

trses335 Member

Very nice. Instruments sound very real with a sense of depth. I like the composition as well (big Elliott Carter fan).

3. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

Thanks! Wow, its not often people these days even know who Elliott Carter is, let alone hear him in my stuff. He has been one of my biggest american influences along with Morton Feldman, Mingus and the Minimalist trio (Reich, Glass & Adams)! His Piano Concerto (RCA LSC-3001 (1968) being particularly inspiring to me and I was consciously channeling him, and Arnold Schoenberg, in this work. Of course Carter is a genius and I'm just a hack, so to be in the paragraph makes me smile. I realize its not your typical TGP fare. ;) Thanks for listening!

The software is pretty powerful for what its trying to do, which is to bridge composition, scoring and arrangement tools with flexible performance capabilities. I found it easier to get big results fast vs the other solutions (Sibelius & Finale). Its incorporating of real-time controls like vamping and tempo changes makes it a powerful solution for live work IMO. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012