Concerts now compared to 1965-1980

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Marcfordsfuzz513, Mar 27, 2011.

1. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I think some of you folks need to go see more concerts, or at least better ones. There are plenty of bands that change their sets, pull out extended jams, and other wise put on a very great show.

As far as dancers and choregraphy go... can't help you, I don't go to those concerts and can care less.

2. whitehall

whitehall Member

Because in the old days band members were just people , not dieties.
    Rudy Sarzo tells a story about a Blizzard Of Ozz show where a kid comes up to Randy Rhoades after a show and tells him what a big fan his brother is, and they are having a party. Randy goes to the kids house and gives him a guitar lesson. Can you imagine that today ?

3. Peeb

Peeb Member

Eagles, too.

4. colin617

colin617 Senior Member

I think I paid in the neighborhood of $85 to see Muse and U2, but man was it worth it. The spectacle was phenomenal. The lights, the screens, everything blew my mind. Muse delivered (as I knew they would), but the biggest surprise came from U2. I was never really a fan of Bono & Co., but I left with a deep appreciation for them. They are definitely entertainers of the highest caliber. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

Conversely, I saw the Arcade Fire a month ago and their stage was pretty stripped down -- just the instruments and band members. It was also a great show and really created an intimate vibe. I paid $32 and could touch the stage monitors from where I stood.

As far as jams go, I'm glad there aren't 5 hours shows filled with 20 minute jams. It's cool when bands have that kind of creativity and unity, but please wrap it up. I think my attention span stops at 10 minutes for a single song. I may have only ever listened to Moby Dick, Dazed and Confused, and Whole Lotta Love from How the West Was Won all the way through once. They're just too long and I lose interest.

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

The thing is, the kid making $7.25 is not the target audience.

The target audience is the kid that was making $2.90 in 1979 and is now making $70 an hour, and as such, still spends 2-3 hrs of wages to go to a show.

Now, a young upcoming indie hipster band playing at a popular club in town is probably charging 20-30 bucks, which is still 2-3 hours of wages for a young kid. Kids don't go to see The Stones for $250 bucks. They go see Cults or The Kills for $25.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Awesome!

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

There's Elvis Costello, who just brought back the "Spinning Songbook" for a brief tour. The names of the songs are all on a big wheel, and audience members come up and spin it, and the band performs the song that comes up.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/E...st+Time+In+25+Years+On+"The+Revolver+Tour"/99

I saw one of the original shows 25 years ago, with Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe. (I seem to remember Blondie opened, but I saw several Elvis shows in a row around that time, may be mixing up the tours.) I think that was also the show where they got an audience member, a girl in this case, and gave her a snare drum and sat her down and let her play along. They did "Green Shirt" and when they got to the part with the little drum flourish, she nailed it. Immediately two stagehands came out with a kick drum and a high hat and set her up with them.

9. stellablue

stellablue Member

Go see Widespread Panic, Phish, Umphreys McGee, Govt Mule, and you'll see a different show each night.

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Allmans, and many others still go off on the unpredictable jams stuff.

11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I'll add Bruce Hornsby to that, since he was brought up in another thread today.

And as pointed out by many, there were a lot of bands "back in the day" who played pretty much the same every night.

It boils down to this:

12. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

$25 is still a whole lot of money, unless by hipster you mean trust fund kiddies slumming it for a few years after uni, banging art schoolers and shooting H until dad threatens to lower the monthly allowance.

You can see a good rock and roll show for $12 in SF. Even less if you know what's going on.

13. DLobe

DLobe Member

Great discussion. So much has changed since my big-concert heydays in the mid to late 70's. So far left out of this discussion are two things (aside from ticket pricing): the "nature" of the audiences and what you could get away with then, and what you cant do now.
    70's arena audiences had an insanity aspect that was off the hook. There was still "revolution in the air"..carried over from the 60's. It was like a huge tribal gathering, even the straight up rock shows. Everybody was getting high, everybody shared their stuff. Somehow, you could get fifths of booze in to the venue along with every mind altering substance imaginable. You didn't have any? People shared, a lot! There was always a mass feeling of "we are ALL in this together, let's blow this place sky high". And we did...
    The few big arena shows I've seen in the last few years (Mc Cartney, The Wall)...wow. No smokin, no sharin, no community buzz. No long hair hippies either. (Not a requirement...just sayin...). But most of all...just the very audible endless chatter...chatter..chatter.... fantastic music being played, some real tender, quiet moments (the Wall esp) and...chatter. Endless chatter. I dont know if the "masses" really Feel the music anymore. We all seem to be isolated from each other. "I got mine you got yours". "I got my cell phone and I'm gonna talk to my buddy while Comfortably Numb is being performed.... "...
    Personally, I miss "the warm thrill of confusion"..that the 70's inspired and allowed. Maybe the 15 year old kids have it. God I hope so.

14. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Did anyone mention Furthur? They wrote the book on jamming and improv starting in 1965. No two sets alike.
    I think this thread is a little too open. There have been many eras of rock concerts. The burning and smashing was when eveyone was high as a kite, the bands and audience we all 15-25 years old. Those were the days, as long as you didn't eat the brown acid! The big money hit in the 70's and things started to decline. It's all been forgotten now, but they used to have tee shirts that said "The 70's Suck!", with good reason. The 80's showed promise but rock music and the fans splintered. Now rock isn't as big or pertinent as it once was (I don't consider Lady Gaga, Beiber, etc rock, they're pop). So you have to look longer harded and deeper for good stuff. But it's out there with better sound and in smaller venues.